HDV Capture in FCP 7.0.3 - Dead End!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Marshall
HDV Capture in FCP 7.0.3 - Dead End!
on Feb 25, 2014 at 3:57:22 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Marshall on Feb 25, 2014 at 4:33:56 pm

Hey,

I work as a tech at a local college where we have a collection of Sony HVR-1000es and a few of the HVR-A1Es. When I started last year all 8 of the 1000e and A1Es captured into FCP 7 perfectly using the following settings:

Camera:
VCR - HDV
Component - 1080i/576i
I. Link Conv: OFF

FCP:
Capture Preset - HDV
Control Preset - HDV 1050i50 Firewire Basic

Before anyone asks, the footage is HDV as stated by the info on the cameras screen. I even get the HDVout icon next to the I.Link logo and I have tried changing cables, and bought new ones.

Recently they have all stopped allowing us to capture into FCP and are not recognised by FCP, Imovie or Premiere Pro. I have tried different Macs and Firewire cables as well to no avail and am completely stumped as to why this has happened and is causing problems as students can no longer capture their footage for editing. Each time I select Log and Capture I get

"Device is not connected or the capture preset is not setup correctly. You may still log offline clips.

This might also happen if you play DV footage in an HDV device."

After digging around on forums I have tried many of the recommended methods including...
* Turning on the camera, then the Mac then booting up FCP.
*Turning on the Mac, then the camera then FCP.
*Turning on the Mac, booting FCP then turning the camera on.
*Turning on the Mac, then the camera, pressing play on the camera, then loading FCP

*Trashing the prefs.

*Regular DV footage with a DV setup in FCP.

But to no avail...Im really hoping I don't have a whole bunch of fried firewire boards....

Mac Specs:
Model Name: iMac
Model Identifier: iMac12,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i5
Processor Speed: 2.7 GHz
Number Of Processors: 1
Total Number Of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB

Many thanks....

Andrew

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: HDV Capture in FCP 7.0.3 - Dead End!
on Feb 25, 2014 at 4:33:36 pm

When you pull up the Mac's system info (About This Mac->More Info-> System report) does the deck show up when you select "FireWire" in the left hand column? If the OS isn't seeing the deck then no program will see the deck either. If the OS isn't seeing it that's usually because of a bad port on the deck, a bad port on the device or a bad FW cable.

As an aside, I used to work at a place with 20+ MacPros and I had a very hard time getting any deck with FW400 to be recognized consistently when using a FW400 to 800 cable. We just resorted to hooking the decks only to the older towers that had FW400 ports.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]