FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Playback Chokes in QuickTime Player

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rory Keenan
Video Playback Chokes in QuickTime Player
on Feb 24, 2014 at 3:52:08 pm

We created a reality TV show. We have a deal for local broadcast in a large market, but are arranging meetings with national networks where we will show them our first episode.

Here is the problem:
When I export the first episode (as a QuickTime) the video-playback chokes at certain points. The video will freeze for a few seconds (while the audio keeps playing), the video picks back up a few seconds later (skipping the few seconds of video that was supposed to be there).

It happens when I do a "change speed" with a "Motion Blur" effect on top.
A regular effect I use for this show is to speed up the video (often during camera moves) and I put a motion blur on top of the sped up portion (usually less than 1sec). Playback doesn't choke-up every time I do this, only on certain occasions, and only in the exported QuickTimes.
These effects all play fine in the FinalCut sequence. The choke-ups only happen when a QuickTime export is played in QuickTime player.

I can re-edit the parts that choke-up without the effect. But I use that effect throughout and it's part of the look of the show. I'd hate to change editing that looks good for technical reasons.

The exports that choke up are all low-res 720x480. I exported them low-res so I could send roughs to the executive producer over the internet.
The EP understands this is a playback glitch is happy with the look of the show. However, he has a meeting with network people and I'd like to give him a video that he can open on his lap top and show them without choking.
Any ideas?

The original media, and FinalCut sequence, are:
1920x1080
29.97fps

Exports are done through "Using QuickTime Conversion" 720x480.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video Playback Chokes in QuickTime Player
on Feb 24, 2014 at 4:58:53 pm

Don't do it that way. Export a self contained file...or a reference QT. Take that into COMPRESSOR and use one of the Quicktime 7 presets.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Rory Keenan
Re: Video Playback Chokes in QuickTime Player
on Feb 26, 2014 at 9:48:02 pm

I tried that.
It's not as bad if I go through compressor, but I still have the same problem.
Any other ideas (is there a certain codec of resolution that works better for QuickTime Player??

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]