FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro 7 - Media Link

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Schwartz
Final Cut Pro 7 - Media Link
on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:43:55 pm

I'm using FCP 7.0.3. I relink media, save the file. When I reopen, it wants me to relink the same media all over again. Frustrating!

Any ideas on what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks much.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Pro 7 - Media Link
on Feb 21, 2014 at 7:56:25 pm

What type of media is this? What is the codec? Is it H.264, MP4...some other generic, non-editing codec?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tim Schwartz
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:00:26 pm

Thanks for your prompt response. Variety of media -- stills and video. I'm on the rookie side of this world, so not sure what codec I'm using.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:08:10 pm

That's the problem. FCP doesn't just work with a variety of codecs. FCP requires that video all be converted to Apple editing codecs, like ProRes, DV/NTSC, DVCPRO HD. MP4s won't work, nor H.264s, or AVIs or whatever. If you want to edit those without converting, you need to use a different editing app. Premiere Pro does this handily.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Tim Schwartz
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:46:37 pm

Thanks again for your help.

When I relink the media, everything seems to work fine. Until, as I said, when I save it and reopen -- I then have to relink the same media over again (video, stills).

How do I convert as you suggest?

If I go with Premier Pro -- can I export/import my current FCP 7.0.3 video into it?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2014 at 8:56:03 pm

[Tim Schwartz] "How do I convert as you suggest?"

Depends on where it all came from. Tapeless masters should be imported via LOG AND TRANSFER, if they are various QT, MP4, AVI...then Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP will work. Use PRORES 422 as the compressor.

If you go with PPro, simple export an XML of your project and import that into Premiere Pro. It will keep the file structure, and bring over the edited sequence as well..

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]