FORUMS: list search recent posts

Synching Sound recorded on a Zoom H4n to 24pn footage shot on a HPX170 using Plural Eyes 2.1.16

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anne Davis
Synching Sound recorded on a Zoom H4n to 24pn footage shot on a HPX170 using Plural Eyes 2.1.16
on Feb 21, 2014 at 4:20:00 pm
Last Edited By Anne Davis on Feb 21, 2014 at 4:59:32 pm

Any issues with synching sound captured on Zoom H4n recorder with footage shot on a
Panasonic HPX170 camcorder recording in 720p24pn mode? I have Plural Eyes software version 2.1.16
and I'm editing in FCP6 on a iMac running on Snow Leopard OSX.

I'd like to maximize the storage capacity on my P2 cards without creating major headaches down the line in post. The non profit I'm shooting the video for plan to use it online, DVDs for presentations to schools and if the local PBS station is interested, to offer the finished product to them (for free -- so hopefully no additional post cost for shooting in the 720p24pn mode.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Synching Sound recorded on a Zoom H4n to 24pn footage shot on a HPX170 using Plural Eyes 2.1.16
on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:12:30 pm

Can you test? Do you have the camera, the H4N and Pluraleyes? Before I try anything new, I always test to make sure things work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
Re: Synching Sound recorded on a Zoom H4n to 24pn footage shot on a HPX170 using Plural Eyes 2.1.16
on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:32:52 pm

I'll have all the equipment this afternoon for tomorrow's shoot, so I can do a test and take everything
into FCP6 and check the synch.

I know there used to be an issue when Dual Eyes was used to synch DSLR footage
on a FCP timeline and it would drift out of synch over longer clips. I was hoping that
Plural Eyes had resolved this issue, but I know there are newer versions of that software
than the one I'm using.

If the non-profit I'm shooting the video for can interest a local PBS station in airing the completed video,
does anything in this workflow seem like a red flag for trouble or extra cost in post? (I'm only budgeted for
a very basic sound mix and color correct)

Thanks again for all your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 21, 2014 at 5:35:43 pm

Perhaps you didn't convert your DSLR footage to ProRes first? Sync issues are common when editing the native H.264 format the camera shoots.

Your workflow seems good to me. I've never used PluralEyes (I do recommend getting the latest one...as they tend to fix bugs that might be the cause of your issues), I prefer to manually sync. But then again, I typically get slates, or people to clap, or have other sync points.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anne Davis
on Feb 21, 2014 at 6:53:32 pm

I've followed your advice (to myself and to others) in this forum in the past and you've been a lifesaver many times!

Thanks again for your help,
Anne

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]