FORUMS: list search recent posts

QLab format from FCP?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Maria Meredith
QLab format from FCP?
on Feb 20, 2014 at 8:58:06 am

Hi

Struggling to find much in the way of online discussion re this so far, I'm wondering if anyone has experience of bringing an FCP exported QT video into QLab and if yes, have they found an optimum export setting for best quality playback via QLab (to projector to big screen)?

My FCP sequence is HDV 1080i (1440x1080).

Many thanks in advance.

M

Macbook Pro / OSX 10.6.8 / 2.4GHz Intel Core i5 / 4GB 1067 MHz DDR3

FCP Studio 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: QLab format from FCP?
on Feb 20, 2014 at 10:56:25 pm

Why don't you ask the folks who have the QLab software what they need?

You needn't feel bad in asking, because you want to do the job right the first time, and you're just double-checking your client's delivery specifications.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Maria Meredith
on Feb 21, 2014 at 12:40:40 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for getting back. I've tried both QLab support and the AV tech who's going to be running the software during a live event.

The reason I'm trying here is because the tech told me 'anything but H264' and QLab told me 'Pro Res LT or H264' (file size dependent).

Neither of them use FCP so I was hoping an editor out there may have some 'real world' experience of what was a consistently reliable export setting for QLab playback.

Thanks again.

M

FCP Studio 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 21, 2014 at 6:12:35 pm

Send 'em a test file in ProRes LT. Just quick cut something together, export from FCP in Prores 422, and use Compressor to transcode to LT.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Colin Kelley
on Feb 21, 2014 at 6:34:54 pm

I've done a lot of work with QLab and Final Cut. In my experience, there isn't one particular format that works best - it really has a lot to do with the hardware you're using to push the video via QLab and the projector/display to which QLab is sending the video. If you're using a 4K projector the "ultimate" file dimensions are different than a 32" LCD.

In my experience, when I tech says "anything but", I fire back with "but why?" or "tell me specifically what will work best for you". Not because they're wrong (he might have good reason not to use h264, although I've used to great success) but because they owe it to you (and their own professionalism) to have a ready answer. After all - if they event goes off well, you both look good!

Sorry, if that was more rant than answer!

Return to posts index

Maria Meredith
on Feb 24, 2014 at 1:54:07 pm

Hi Colin

Not a rant, just passionate frustration, which exporting and formats very often lead to.

Thanks for your experience though.

Cheers

M

FCP Studio 7.0.3

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]