FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 and Maverick

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jake van Vuuren
FCP 7 and Maverick
on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:12:37 pm

Hi Folks!

Is there any problems with installing FCP 7 (disks) on iMac (Maverick) machine? Does FCP 7 run okay on Maverick? Anything I should be aware of when installing or working with FCP 7?

Thanks!

Jake

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP 7 and Maverick
on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:29:47 pm

Be aware that it is unsupported by Apple. FCP 7 is not supported on Mavericks...10.9 was written without any consideration made towards that application.

That said...it's a mixed bag. Some report no problems, some report issues installing, others report issues with certain plugins, or when trying to do specific tasks...or exports.

It is best to use it on an earlier OS, but you might not have that option if you buy a newer computer. Just know that it isn't supported.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 19, 2014 at 9:36:26 pm

"He's gonna run FCP 7 in Mavericks!"
"Place your bets, gentlemen!"

"Hey, 5 times out of six, it works great; that's certainly a wise business model!"

Return to posts index

Michael Tyas
on Feb 19, 2014 at 10:08:35 pm

I upgraded last year. I seem to get more crashes (1-2 a week) on big projects but that could also be my older machine or just the complex project.

Return to posts index

Jake van Vuuren
on Feb 20, 2014 at 1:18:13 am

Here's response I got from KenStone:

"You cannot install FCP7 on MavRick. This is because the installer uses Power PC code. MavRick refuses to emulate PowerPC code. You may ask "But Final Cut Pro 7 is an Intel program why does the installer run off of Power PC code?" The answer to that is "Apple is extremely silly and they were most likely high on drugs when building the installer". So you'll need to migrate FCP7 from an older drive. Then it will run fine in Apple MavRick.

I'm truly amazed that someone hasn't remade the FCS installer to be compatible with Intel like they rewrote the MavRick installer to install on a 2006 Mac Pro. Someone needs to step up to the plate and do this. There are a lot of people who still love FCP7."

jakevv

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Feb 20, 2014 at 2:55:41 am

My experience so far is that it seems to run pretty well, although as Shane says, it is totally unsupported and probably only a matter of time before a release of the OS does break it properly.
I have not had any specific issues yet and the plug-ins I use work.
However I did cheat a bit, Having read some people had problems installing other not, rather than mess about I did a clean install of Snow Leopard. Installed just FCP7, did the upgrades to 7.03 and then upgraded to Maverick. Then added other Apps etc.
So not a clean clean install but as close as I thought might work and it did.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

8 Core MacPro, Kona 3, Tangent Wave, Mackie Universal Symphony 6.5 or MC V 7 with Symphony option. FCP7, Color, Media creation and conversion. Adobe Encore DVD creation and authoring.
i7 2.7 Gig MBP (non retina) 16Gigs Ram Blackmagic Monitor Mini Symphony 6.5 or MC v7 with Symphony option FCP7
7TB raid 5 fibre storage.

Return to posts index

David Eberts
on Nov 3, 2014 at 3:25:13 pm

Hi Neil,
A quick question about your clean install of snow leopard. I'm trying to install FCP Studio 2 on a brand new iMac by creating a snow leopard partition. I have the retail snow leopard CD but it won't boot when I load into the CD drive and open. Did you make a disk image of the installer?

Thanks for your help!

David

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]