FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using "Recompress" media referenced by duplicated clips to upres from Proxy to 422

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Edward Harby
Using "Recompress" media referenced by duplicated clips to upres from Proxy to 422
on Feb 18, 2014 at 9:36:47 pm
Last Edited By Edward Harby on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:00:03 pm

Hey guys,

I was wondering if it was possible to use the Recompress option within the media manager as a different way making my prores proxy files into proress 422 as opposed to the log and transfer then batch import method shown in Shane Ross's tutorials. His workflow is great but I'm on maverick, and it crashes when I put more than 3 volumes... or just randomly. It's the Canon Plugin but I've been working around it.

Is the recompress option in media manager making a copy of a copy, or going back to the original files as a means of recompressing. I just want to sure I'm not making any mistakes that I'll be regretting down the road.

My original files are still in it's original file structure. Using FCP 7 on a Maverick macbook pro with 16 gigs of ram. It's also 5D footage.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Using "Recompress" media referenced by duplicated clips to upres from Proxy to 422
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:12:07 pm

[Edward Harby] "I was wondering if it was possible to use the Recompress option within the media manager as a different way making my prores proxy files into proress 422 as opposed to the log and transfer then batch import method shown in Shane Ross's tutorials."

Well...yeah, you can do that. And it will recompress the Proxy footage to ProRes422 ...but then you've recompressed your low res footage to ProRes 422...you haven't uprezzed at all. You've simply compressed again. It'll look worse.

[Edward Harby] "His workflow is great but I'm on maverick, and it crashes when I put more than 3 volumes... or just randomly."

Ah. Using FCP 7 on an unsupported OS...you are bound to have issues. Any way to do this on a different system?

[Edward Harby] "Is the recompress option in media manager making a copy of a copy, or going back to the original files as a means of recompressing."

It's recompressing the media you already have in the project.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Edward Harby
Re: Using "Recompress" media referenced by duplicated clips to upres from Proxy to 422
on Feb 18, 2014 at 10:25:40 pm

Yeah. Ok. I don't think there's anyway around it.
Log and transfer on Maverick is a nightmare. Clips get transcoded, but only portion (without showing there's an error)... crashes. Yeah It's not supported and never will, I know thatl. That's why I'm making the transfer to FCP X and getting all this footage to 422. I've only got an assembly cut down, and we might shoot more of the documentary.

I think there's no way around other than the log and transfer route, constantly checking, and restarting FCP after it crashes. Oh well. Better now than never.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]