FORUMS: list search recent posts

30p footage to 25p timeline and sync to externally recorded audio?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Serena Armitage
30p footage to 25p timeline and sync to externally recorded audio?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:22:16 pm

Hi, I have some footage mistakenly shot at 30fps on a 5D for a 25p timeline, with externally recorded audio.

What's the best solution to have it playing at 25fps with synced audio?

It's just talking head interview framed pretty wide with no motion in the frame except the subjects mouth speaking.

I had thought a quick and easy way would be to just drop the 30fps footage onto the 25fps timeline and that FCP 7 would automatically drop frames to make it play at 25fps. But when I bring in the external audio and sync it on the timeline, it slowly drifts out of sync.

Return to posts index

Serena Armitage
Re: 30p footage to 25p timeline and sync to externally recorded audio?
on Feb 18, 2014 at 7:04:10 pm

Just to add, the .wav file from the external recorder is 96khz 24-bit, i'm assuming it's this?

On the timeline, the audio file has a green line on it. It seems as if the timecode is being set for 30fps when putting the audio on a 25fps timeline.

I've tried the solution from this thread (PAL easy setup for DV Pal, import the audio in there first before taking into project) but no luck: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/986611

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 30p footage to 25p timeline and sync to externally recorded audio?
on Feb 19, 2014 at 1:48:26 am
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Feb 19, 2014 at 5:13:37 pm

[Serena Armitage] "I have some footage mistakenly shot at 30fps on a 5D for a 25p timeline, with externally recorded audio.

What's the best solution to have it playing at 25fps with synced audio?......
.....Just to add, the .wav file from the external recorder is 96khz 24-bit, i'm assuming it's this?"

That is potentially VERY problematic if you don't proceed carefully. Do you mean that the 5D shot at 30fps OR 29.97fps? A small difference with a big impact.

Since external recorders generating wav files can ALSO create files with frame rate associated with them, what would that frame rate be?

At the moment, working without vital information, I would work in a 29.97 (or 30, depending on the video frame rate) timeline, convert the audio to a proper AIFF for FCP, sync the audio, export the clip, and CONVERT it to 25fps in Compressor.

It almost goes without saying that the video should be in ProRes 422.

At first blush, shooting at the wrong frame rate may appear to be an easy fix. It is not. Not in software, anyway. You could take the footage to a post house, explain the situation and let them sort it out for you; the results will be wonderful, but open your wallet: you will pay dearly for it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]