FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing 60fps to 40fps - Slow Motion issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Juan Marin
Changing 60fps to 40fps - Slow Motion issue
on Feb 17, 2014 at 6:51:39 am

I'm working on a musical video for my band and encountered a problem. The main idea is to play the song at 1.5x and record a video of it, so when I slow down the fps to match the original speed of the song, we will be moving in slow motion but perfectly synchronized with the music.

The problem starts here: we recorded a try-out with the song at 1.5x (the song uses a 160bpm tempo, so we just changed the metronome to 240bpm and achieved the 1.5x speed). We did this test using a Canon t3i and a GoPro, both set to record at 60fps. When I came home, I unloaded the footage and opened Cinema Tools to pull it down, but the final fps rate is fixed to the standards, wich gives me a hard time because I need to pull down my footage down to 40 fps just to match the real speed that goes with the song. At the rehearsal, we tried to play the song at 2x speed (so 60fps could pull to 30fps without a problem), but the song becomes unplayable at that speed.

I already went through After Effects, MPEG Streamclip, Cinema Tools and Compressor, but basically playing with speed and duration attributes. I am also trying to use the stock plug-ins and functions native to these softwares, because I live in Venezuela and spending a couple hundred dollars on a plug-in is hard because we have no free access to US dollars (meaning that I can only spend 300 a year due to government controls).

Any comments and suggestions will include the author's name in the credits of the video as a small token of appreciation from me and the band!

Starting in Pro Video - Musician (@LaVesper - http://www.lavesper.net)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Changing 60fps to 40fps - Slow Motion issue
on Feb 17, 2014 at 8:22:59 am

40fps is a non-standard frame rate. Most NLE's don't work with that frame rate...FCP not at all, nor Avid. They only work with broadcast and film frame rates...and 40fps ain't one of them. Premiere Pro MIGHT work with it...but unsure.

But one big question is how will you distribute this very non-standard frame rate? Might be tricky even getting that frame rate to play on the web. Vimeo and YouTube stick to traditional formats...and might also deal with 15fps and 10fps. 40fps?

THis is a workflow that really should have been tested before you lept in head first.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 17, 2014 at 3:49:18 pm

About all you can do is put it in your sequence and apply a speed change (cmd+j) to 66.66666666%. It's not going to be as pretty as conforming, but as You've discovered, 40fps isn't a viable frame rate. I think YouTube is 30fps max and they probably stick to standards.

Return to posts index

Juan Marin
on Feb 18, 2014 at 5:00:09 am

After reading you guys, and keeping the trial and error method, I finally went on to AE and right clicked on the video (inside the browser), and just re-interpreted the footage to 40fps inside After Effects! I am HONESTLY really sorry for asking such question with such a simple answer, hehehe.....hehe.....he.....he......

Also, I went to Compressor again and tried the thing by changing the duration and the final fps (into one of the standards), wich I kinda always knew from the start, but didn't manage to quite understand that couldn't be done; I thought I could just edit in 40fps and export into a standard fps... What I wanted specifically was to "conform" the source video into 40fps like Cinema Tools does (like just changing the media header from 60fps to 40fps). In the end, I even tried to manually change the headers with Atom Inspector, which rendered a great result.

I found a better solution with After Effects' stock plug-ins and functions (frame blending went well, no noticeable warp) for this problem, but the twixtor knocked me out with the (watermarked) result! UNBELIAVABLE!

Thank you very much for your time and help!!!

Starting in Pro Video - Musician (@LaVesper - http://www.lavesper.net)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]