FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Express Video Import Settings Confusion

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Derzypolski
Final Cut Express Video Import Settings Confusion
on Feb 13, 2014 at 10:57:55 pm

New to FCE and will be importing 1080 video (from a Canon a55 DSLR). I did read the help section but am still a little unsure as to what settings I should use in order to edit quickly and smoothly in the timlime. Finally, when exporting the project will it output the original HD video? I'm sure you have answered this many times so please know of my gratitude.
James
Mac G5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Final Cut Express Video Import Settings Confusion
on Feb 13, 2014 at 11:41:10 pm

Final Cut Express uses the Apple Intermediate Codec. A lossy codec...not nearly as good as ProRes that FCP has. FCE cannot edit H.264 native...so you need to convert the video. Converting H.264 to AIC and then back to H.264 will be less than ideal...you'll notice the loss.

If you want to edit native, and export in the same codec, then you should look at Premiere Pro.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

James Derzypolski
Re: Final Cut Express Video Import Settings Confusion
on Feb 20, 2014 at 4:29:01 pm

Shane,
Thank you very much, exactly what I needed to know. One last question though. Being on a shoe string budget a new Mac is not in the story board. If I were to buy an earlier copy of FCP for my G5 (purchased in 2005 but has been upgraded) what version would be best? Again, thank you and best wishes.
James

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]