FORUMS: list search recent posts

Canvas window suddenly very dark

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Casey Petersen
Canvas window suddenly very dark
on Feb 11, 2014 at 6:08:05 pm

I have been searching the internet for a long time to figure this out, and have had no luck.

I am running Final Cut Pro 7 on a Mac Mini (late 2012), connected HDMI out to an HDTV. I have been using it for over a year with no problems at all.

I'm not sure if this coincides with when the problem started, but my computer was updated to OSX Mavericks from Snow Leopard.

Now the video in the canvas window is very dark. I can open a video clip in QuickTime and it will look fine, I can open it in Premiere and it looks fine.

All the other posts I've found say it's a gamma issue, but I don't see how that's possible since changing the color profiles in the System Preferences will change the entire screen, not just the canvas window in FCP...that makes me think it MUST be something in FCP that changes. I can change the gamma setting in FCP from Accurate to Approximate, and that's much closer, but still not right.

Help!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Canvas window suddenly very dark
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:03:41 pm

This might be one of the ways that FCP 7 doesn't work properly with the new OS. Mavericks was written with zero consideration for FCP 7. FCP 7 is Quicktime based, and Apple is moving away from QT...towards AV Foundation.

The only difference between the working system and the one you have now is the new OS. Thus...the problem is the new OS.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:09:45 pm

Figures :)

Is it possible to go back to Snow Leopard from Mavericks?

Thanks!
Casey

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:11:48 pm

You'll have to backup all your files, erase the drive and install the other software, and then reinstall your applications. Basically a fresh start.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:15:32 pm

Curse you Apple!!!

Oh well, I guess it's a good thing that I've already started transitioning to Premiere and have little to do with FCP anymore anyways...I only noticed because I was doing an edit from a project from awhile ago.

I guess the alternative for me is to use an external monitor for color...probably not a bad idea anyways, but it also means I need a bigger desk!

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:52:30 pm

Running Mavericks and FCP 7 and don't have any gamma issues in the canvas. First I've heard of it as well. 7 appears to be totally fine with Mavericks. I don't run a lot of crazy plugins, but I do run some.

I don't have QT 7 player installed anymore, but that's where the gamma adjustment used to be when you had these issues between FCP 7 and AE. Open the QT player and look in it's prefs for some sort of FCP compliant gamma or something like that.

Return to posts index

Alina Postula
on Feb 12, 2014 at 2:31:35 am

I'm having the same issue but didn't upgrade my OS...

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Feb 12, 2014 at 3:51:26 am

Here's mine...QuickTime player on the left, FCP 7 Canvas on the right. The QuickTime is correct, and the canvas is way off.

I tried downloading QuickTime 7 and I see the checkbox for "Enable Final Cut Studio compatibility...when enabled, video is not displayed using ColorSync. Source colors are read with 2.2 gamma and are displayed in a color space with 1.8 gamma."

Return to posts index

Casey Petersen
on Feb 12, 2014 at 4:50:24 am

Okay, this is weird.

All I did was change the System Settings -> Display -> Color to Generic RGB Profile.

It didn't make a difference at first, but then I quit FCP and launched it again, and now it works (for now)...I don't really understand what caused it to change in the first place though.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 13, 2014 at 12:13:46 am

the new operating system, i guess.

Return to posts index

Alina Postula
on Feb 14, 2014 at 4:03:42 am

ok. I just changed the gamma correction from accurate to approximate and that fixed it...also don't know what what would have made the sudden change...computers... they are as finicky as cats.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]