FORUMS: list search recent posts

import portrait iphone video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
James Bishop
import portrait iphone video
on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:45:50 pm

I'm struggling to find a way of importing some videos on my iPhone that i stupidly shot in portrait. I'd like to get them onto my timeline as they are, so with big black bits either side.

I have some other footage, from my 5d, which has been converted to apple pro res in compressor, that i would like to mix the iPhone clips with...

Is this possible?

thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: import portrait iphone video
on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:30:05 pm

I've received iPhone video clips via email; they're quicktime movies in H.264, so they need to be transcoded to ProRes 422.

When placed in an FCP timeline, the video will fill the frame; yours will be greatly distorted, and will need to be rotated 90 degrees.

But there's good news: fix just ONE clip in the timeline, then Copy>Paste Attributes to fix the rest.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:52:43 pm

If it was filmed vertical, not oriented horizontally...oy.

Convert to ProRes...keep the aspect ratio. When you drop into the sequence it'll keep the orientation (I think) and have black on the sides. And you will need to render. There is no getting past that fact, as the video is an odd frame rate.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 11, 2014 at 10:21:07 pm

There's an app that will change the framing in the camera/phone to horizontal as you shoot, regardless of portrait orientation. I think the FCC should mandate it, myself, but until then, you'll just have to google it and find /install yourself.

Return to posts index

James Bishop
on Feb 12, 2014 at 10:59:37 am

thanks for the responses.

rotating 90 degrees will mean the clip will be on its side? i don't really want that!

is there a 'keep aspect ratio' option in compressor? i just leave it as '100% of source'… which does't work. It just squeezes it to fill out the whole frame in fcp...

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 12, 2014 at 4:53:25 pm

No, it probably WON'T be on its side if you rotate it 90 degrees. Only YOU know it was shot vertically -- the software doesn't!

I have five whole American dollars that say the video comes into FCP in a horizontal orientation.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]