FORUMS: list search recent posts

Composite Wash-out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Buddy Bright
Composite Wash-out
on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:33:10 pm
Last Edited By Buddy Bright on Feb 11, 2014 at 3:17:48 am

For some reason, my compositing in FCP7 is appearing washed-out. Whether it's a Photoshop image or tiff or png, whenever I import and timeline an image over a video clip (rt. click image in video track-composite mode-screen), setting it to "Screen" removes the black background, but now it's washing out the image itself that should remain visible. I've never heard of this in 10-years of using FCP7 and the couple of answers I found on the net didn't solve it either. Can anyone help?

Return to posts index

Stephen Smith
Re: Composite Wash-out
on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:51:16 pm

That sounds strange. Is the image RGB and not CMYK? Is it 8 bit?

Stephen Smith

Utah Video Productions

Check out my Motion Training DVD

Check out my Vimeo page

Return to posts index

Buddy Bright
on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:02:10 pm

Well, "strange" is one way to put it. Downright crazy is another !!! In all my years I've never had a problem that's, so far, taken all day with no solution and I can't work around much less solve. Yes, RGB, 8-bit or 16-bit, transparent background, solid, white, black, darned near everything.

Return to posts index

Buddy Bright
on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:17:07 pm

And yet the comp-screen works just fine with mp4, mov and other videos with lens flares and the like. It seems it's just still images. Another thing is that, creating them in Photoshop with a transparent background as usual and then trying to save them, Photoshop grays-out the Alpha Channel tick box. Layers is still available but not AC.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:33:11 pm

Have you trashed FCP Preferences lately? Sounds like it might be time.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Buddy Bright
on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:49:11 pm

Yes. That didn't work either. I'm really stumped. I have my friend working on this too and he said Larry Jordan recommended the same thing.

Return to posts index

Buddy Bright
on Feb 11, 2014 at 7:58:44 pm

Also, I tried having in a Photoshop file and the same thing happens. Click ion Composite Mode, Screen and the background disappears but the image remaining is about 50% opacity so the underlying video shows through

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]