FORUMS: list search recent posts

photoshop file squeezed when imported into fcp7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ley Wilson
photoshop file squeezed when imported into fcp7
on Feb 10, 2014 at 9:12:01 pm

I was given a client .eps file with their logo that needs to cut into my FCP sequence. When I open in photoshop and save it to use in FCP it comes into FCP squeezed (as a sequence of course). All on a MAC.

When my buddy does the same for me in PS but on a PC, it does NOT come in squeezed, but also not as a sequence (no separate layers).

My sequence is square pixels and I make sure the PS file is saved that way as well. This is not a full screen graphic and has an odd pixel ratio because it just is what it is; 419 x 226. Of course I constrain proportions when I save it.

As a test, if I drop it into AE and render it out, it works fine in FCP. Its not squeezed and does output with a matte, and keys no problem.

I have been all over the internet, I see people talking about squeezed graphics but all the answers cover checking whether its NTSC 720 or 1080, or 19 whatever. but this is a size I cant use math to correct. (Yes, I know that made no sense)

I have imported it 6 ways from Sunday to try and get it to work, but alas, it's always stretched. I even brought it in tiny just in case it was squeezing to fit the screen, to no avail.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: photoshop file squeezed when imported into fcp7
on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:41:39 pm

Have you played around with this file's Motion settings.... like its scale?

Personally, I like After Effects a lot, so I'd just fix it there and be done with it... but that's just me.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ley Wilson
on Feb 10, 2014 at 10:58:09 pm

Thanks Dave,

Yes I did. The logo even has a circle in it, so I could generate a circle (as a reference) then stretch this image's circle over that till they match and know I had the right width. While also cracking up at FCP for not even being able to give me numbers for that stretching (x vs.y)

But obviously that solves nothing, it is just a quick fix. And the anal person inside me wants to know how to do it right. Just seems some things shouldn't be that hard.

Especially since it comes from a PC .psd just fine

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:02:21 pm

If you've been messing around with your Photoshop settings, that might do it, too....

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ley Wilson
on Feb 10, 2014 at 11:06:49 pm

Yeah I;ve messed with every setting I can think of; image size, canvas size, pixel aspect ratio, etc. Nada!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 11, 2014 at 8:42:01 am

if your PSD has a transparent background, then FCP gets confused.
it uses, or sees only the outermost pixels, and squishes the image to fit them.

one trick is to put a single pixel in each of the four corners of your PSD.
another might be to add a new layer of solid colour,
then in FCP delete it.

nick

Return to posts index

Ley Wilson
on Feb 11, 2014 at 5:37:08 pm

Thanks for the idea Nick. I tried it (adding a background layer) but couldnt get it to work. Then I even enlarged the canvas and sized the logo down, making the new background huge. But then when I imported it, the logo still came in squeezed just smaller.

So far below is the best solution so far, given to me on the SFCutters forum by:

"Marco Ramirez

Film/Video Production & Post-Production Artist

Are you bringing in the PS file or do you need to bring a logo in just for a simple overlay?

My initial guess is FCP thinks it's anamorphic; I would render as PNG, it's great for logos and graphics, and it will also be much lighter to process. Make sure to turn off any unwanted background fills in your PS file before rendering, PNG will carry transparent pixels.

Hope this helps..."

Return to posts index

Ley Wilson
on Feb 13, 2014 at 8:16:37 pm

If anyone is interested I finally figured this out. Just read my last post on this forum link, Wow what a rabbit hole!

http://www.linkedin.com/groupItem?view=&gid=110779&type=member&item=5839529...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]