FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for sharpening image

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bryan Bobo
Best workflow for sharpening image
on Feb 8, 2014 at 7:25:44 pm

Hello,

I have been shooting video with a canon 60D and within the camera I have all the internal camera image adjustment set to zero to give the flattest image possible. I was wondering what the best way to restore the sharpness to the image in post is? I tried used the "sharpen" effect in FCP 7 but it just looks awful to me. Any recommendations on ranges for the sharpening setting in FCP or a different method to boost the sharpness in post?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
Re: Best workflow for sharpening image
on Feb 8, 2014 at 10:31:28 pm

You just need to add contrast by color correcting. Bring the blacks down, and lower the mids a little , pull the whites up slightly, for example. You shot everything flat, but still in focus, right? Sharpening is for out of focus shots.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Bryan Bobo
on Feb 8, 2014 at 10:41:28 pm

Yeah, I do that now (add in saturation and drop down the black tones). But when you look at the image out of the 60D with the internal sharpness dropped the image still appears soft, regardless of the lens used. I just want a way to bring back a little sharpness in the details if possible. I realize I'm not going to have a huge range of adjustment since I'm not shooting RAW or anything, but even if I could bump the sharpness a bit I think it would help. The sharpness effect in FCP though comes across as really rubbish to me though. Maybe I just have to play with the settings a bit more

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Feb 8, 2014 at 11:44:39 pm

After Effects has a very good sharpener.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Bryan Bobo
on Feb 8, 2014 at 11:46:51 pm

Thanks! I'll check it out. I have after effects but rarely venture out of my comfort zone of FCP. This may be worth a look though!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]