FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio Output sync problem on FCP6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lli Lli
Audio Output sync problem on FCP6
on Feb 7, 2014 at 6:15:54 pm

Hi,
I'm outputting separate tracks of audio to .aif files so the tracks can be professionally mixed. When I output the tracks the duration of my in and out points is 20:29:12. But the exported .aif file has a duration of 20:28:05. That's more than a second of difference.
If I reimport the exported .aif file and drop it onto the timeline using the same in and out points I used when I exported it, I get the error message "insufficient content." Makes sense, but why is this happening?
This is holding me up in getting my audio mixed because everything's out of sync.
Sequence editing timebase is 24fps. Exporting as an .aif from FCP doesn't give me options to change fps or drop/non-drop.
Ideas?
Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Audio Output sync problem on FCP6
on Feb 7, 2014 at 10:10:53 pm

How is your audio mixer going to mix? I've never sent out exports of tracks. I have so many things on one track...1&2 typically is interview audio, with interviews of many people, each needs to be mixed differently. Same with the other tracks...b-roll, sound effects, music. I've always exported AAF or OMF files that include all the individual clips and media, that the mixer then opens up in ProTools or Logic...and they then have access to the individual clips, and can adjust each one.

Never heard of exporting full tracks. Are you sure this is what they want?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lli Lli
on Feb 8, 2014 at 12:54:32 am

Thanks for responding. AIF is what the sound editor said he could work with.

It's a 20 minute narrative with tracks 1,2 being stereo dialogue, tracks 3,4 being stereo supplementary dialogue, tracks 5,6 being stereo SFX, tracks 7,8 being stereo v/o, and tracks 9/10 being stereo music.
Perhaps the sound editor is using something other than ProTools (therefore non-OMF of AAC export).

My real question is...why is the output ending up being a different length than the in and out point on the timeline?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 8, 2014 at 2:43:53 am

What is the frame rate of your sequence? Does the footage match that frame rate? What is the codec of the footage you are working with? What are your sequence settings.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Lli Lli
on Feb 8, 2014 at 8:13:30 pm

Thanks for getting back to me....
The frame rate is 24fps. Footage matches the sequence frame rate. Codec is DV-NTSC (Anamorphic), custom because it is 24fps. Attached are some screenshots of sequence settings and some of the footage specs.

Ideas?

Thanks for helping out with this....

Return to posts index

John Fishback
on Feb 9, 2014 at 6:43:03 pm

If your footage is 23.976 rather than true 24, that could account for the difference. True 24 video is very rare in my experience.

John

MacPro 8-core 2.8GHz, 16 GB RAM, OS 10.8.4, QT10.1, Kona 3, Dual Cinema 23, ATI Radeon HD 5870, 24" TV-Logic Monitor, ATTO ExpressSAS R380 RAID Adapter, PDE enclosure with 8-drive 6TB RAID 5
FCS 3 (FCP 7.0.3, Motion 4.0.3, Comp 3.5.3, DVDSP 4.2.2, Color 1.5.3)
FCP-X 10.0.9, Motion 5.0.7, Compressor 4.0.7

Pro Tools HD 10 w SYNC IO & 192 Digital I/O, Yamaha DM1000, Millennia Media HV-3C, Neumann U87, Schoeps Mk41 mics, Genelec DSP Monitors, Prima CDQ120 ISDN

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]