FORUMS: list search recent posts

Serious field dominance issues with Canon 550D 25fps PAL footage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Henk Schagen
Serious field dominance issues with Canon 550D 25fps PAL footage
on Feb 6, 2014 at 9:48:26 pm

Hi,

I've been looking and trying forever and I can't find the answer to this. But I have a project that I shot in 25 fps in PAL mode on my Canon 550D.

I've converted it to Cineform for editing, but because I use text I want to set my project's field dominance to "none" for smooth rendering.

But this somehow screws up my 550D footage, as the source files (and so the Cineform files) have their field dominance set to "upper". Why is this? Is 25 fps PAL somehow interlaced?

This wasn't an issue when I shot 23.98 fps with an early project. How can I fix/convert this footage properly (so no de-interlacing plugins)?

Here is what's happening: Left is "upper" right is "none"

Cheers

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Serious field dominance issues with Canon 550D 25fps PAL footage
on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:12:09 pm

FCP doesn't work well with Cineform...convert to ProRes. What app did you use for the conversion? It might have caused that issue.

Use Compressor or MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert to ProRes for FCP, you shouldn't have any issues. Or 5DtoRGB.

That camera doesn't shoot interlaced, only progressive. BUT, 1080 is an interlaced format, so even though it might say it's interlaced, both fields are the same. And HD is always upper field dominant. But if you actually see interlaced lines or a quality loss...the issue is in how you converted.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Henk Schagen
on Feb 6, 2014 at 10:28:50 pm

Thanks for the quick reply Shane!

That did seem to do the trick. It's odd that 23.98 fps doesn't have any issues in FCP7. What codec would you recommend for this kind of footage, HQ or LT?

HQ creates files twice as big as Cineform and 4 times as big as H264...

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 6, 2014 at 11:24:02 pm

Regular ProRes 422, or LT if drive space concerns you. Yes, Cineform is lighter, but it doesn't work well in FCP. If you want to edit with FCP, you need to use FCP codecs.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]