FORUMS: list search recent posts

RE Log and Transfer Canon XF 305 Rushes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matthew Groark
RE Log and Transfer Canon XF 305 Rushes
on Feb 5, 2014 at 10:26:01 am

Hi,

I was wondering whether someone would be able to help me with some Canon 305 footage. I have received some footage and I am really struggling to get to it. When I go to log and transfer I am getting the 'invalid structure' message. I have rebuilt the structure Contents/Clips001/'card number'. Still having no luck. I have then downloaded an MXF plugin for final cut that will read the files but now it is corrupting certain files as its hasn't got the other files like 'cif', 'sif' and 'cpf'.

Really struggling with this one and I was wondering whether anyone would be able to help.

Thanks for your time

Matty

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: RE Log and Transfer Canon XF 305 Rushes
on Feb 5, 2014 at 7:09:36 pm

First off, did you download the Canon C300 LOG AND TRANSFER plugin? You need that in order for this to work.

Second, FCP 7 is over 5 years old...nearly 3 years since it was discontinued. Last major update was 3.5 years ago. The Canon C305 came out after the last FCP 7 update, so FCP might not be fully compatible with it. It works with the C300 (barely)...but camera makers make slight tweaks to file structures when they update, thus why FCP cannot see it via Log and Transfer.

Third, If you ever work directly with the camera masters, the raw offloads, COPY THEM to your media drive. NEVER work from the main and only copies. If they get damaged, or lost, you always have backups.

What MXF Plugin did you download? Calibrated? Raylight? MXF4Mac? Those only read the MXF files...the other files are extraneous metadata files. They cannot access those...they only allow FCP to read the raw MXF files.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: RE Log and Transfer Canon XF 305 Rushes
on Feb 6, 2014 at 5:14:49 pm

[Matthew Groark] "I have rebuilt the structure Contents/Clips001/'card number'. Still having no luck. I have then downloaded an MXF plugin for final cut that will read the files but now it is corrupting certain files as its hasn't got the other files like 'cif', 'sif' and 'cpf'."

This part has me worried. You shouldn't have to rebuild the folder structure as you just need to copy it intact from the card to your hard drive. If you didn't copy over the complete folder structure from the card (including all the metadata files and folders) that's a big problem. Which MXF plugin did you download? The Canon log and transfer plugin or a different MXF plugin?

Shane,
You might be confusing the C300 and the XF305. The XF305 should work fine w/FCP 7 as long as the cards were copied over properly and the correct Log and Transfer Canon MXF plugin is installed. The American Winer doc I assisted on a while back was shot on the XF305

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]