FORUMS: list search recent posts

External Video Playback gamma issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Alan Langdon
External Video Playback gamma issue
on Feb 4, 2014 at 8:01:09 pm

System: Final Cut 7.0.3 Mac OS X 10.9.1 MacBookPro 15" 2013 intel Core i7

This has never ahppened to me in 10 years of Final Cut usage, so I guess there's always tons we need to learn.
I just installed my copy of FCP 7 on my new MacBook, and decided to use the laptop's screen as a second screen, for External Video output, and use my 24" LG monitor/TV combo as my main working display (using teh HDMI output of the MacBookPro).

Here's what is my problem:
As soon as I set the laptop's display as the External Video Device (under VIEW menu) and set the output to display full frame, the gamma went all out of whack, making my sequence look much darker.
When I exit Full Screen mode and just have the Canvas view on either(!) display, it still is dark... So now any sequence I open up looks dark in the Canvas window, no matter which of the 2 displays I am using...(!?).
Is there some preference to be deleted or something?
I have tried mirroring both displays and going back to normal, also refreshing video devices, etc...

Any ideas? I just got the laptop and instend on using it in this configuration, due to its Retina resolution and color fidelity, and I need to be sure this setup works.

Return to posts index

Alan Langdon
Re: External Video Playback gamma issue
on Feb 4, 2014 at 8:45:22 pm

OK, so I searched the Cow and found people with the same issue, years ago, and the solution for them (and for me) was:
" Some people have suggested changing the gamma correction in the playback control from Accurate to Approximate, which makes it better while the video is playing but once the cursor stops moving the video goes back to being very dark. "

While I have never had to do this, I am fine with accepting this solution, since, as one user said, " Accurate" color playback has never been accurate anyway.

Cheers to the Cow!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]