FORUMS: list search recent posts

qtChange 2.26 and exporting XMLs for plurareyes

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Jackson
qtChange 2.26 and exporting XMLs for plurareyes
on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:34:03 am

qtChange and pluraleyes question

After recently returning from a long shoot I began to transcode the h264 to prores proxy using MpegStreamclip - knowing full well that Mpeg Streamclip would clear the metadata and TC on the prores output. However, I came across qtChange and after some research determined that I could us the program to extract the TC info from the source files and then embed it on to the prores once it had been transcoded. This worked splendidly and all prores files showed a mirror image of the TC from the source files - Fantastic! However, the problem started when I went to use pluraleyes to sync the prores camera audio with the h4n audio. Instead of pluraleyes performing its magic that I've grown to love so much, I now receive and error message that reads.

Error getting project XML
Line 2: xmlparsecharRef: invalid xmlChar value 2

I'm thinking that qtChange has somehow made these Prores files unreadable or that some of the files metadata has been altered.

Has anyone experienced anything similar?

Also, any tips on a solid workflow for transcoding in Mpeg Streamclip. Compressor, L&T, Media Manager - just don't do the trick for me.

thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: qtChange 2.26 and exporting XMLs for plurareyes
on Feb 4, 2014 at 7:52:47 am

Why are you compressing to ProRes Proxy OUTSIDE of FCP? And changing the timecode no less! That'll make the online very difficult. If you transcode outside of FCP, that means that you'll have to convert ALL the footage to full res later, and the timecode needs to match...if you have any hope of relinking to the high res stuff. Otherwise you'll be eye matching everything.

If you want a smooth offline/online, you need to use Log and Transfer to convert your footage. If L&T won't work with your camera model, then you either need to work full res all the way, or convert to full res and store that media on a shelf, AFTER using the Media Manager to recompress the dailies to ProRes Proxy. OR...use another NLE to edit.

Your current workflow ideas are leading you down the wrong path...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Craig Jackson
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:36:10 pm
Last Edited By Craig Jackson on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:08:26 pm

I'm compressing outside FCP because Mpeg Streamclip batch compresses these files 3x faster and with more stability than any other application I've used. I'm not changing timecode but instead burning the prores proxy with the same exact timecode from the source h264 files. When it comes to online I will then make the prores proxy sequence (with my locked cut on it) go offline and reconnect the project to the prores 422 of those clips found in the particular locked sequence. Is that way off base?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:40:07 pm

[Craig Jackson] "I'm not changing timecode but instead burning the prores proxy with the same exact timecode from the source h264 files."

OK...so now you have H.264 and ProRes Proxy...

[Craig Jackson] "When it comes to online I will then make the prores proxy sequence (with my locked cut on it) go offline and reconnect the project to the prores 422 of those clips found in the particular locked sequence."

Where did these ProRes 422 clips come from? That's the question. IN order to reconnect to ProRes 422, you need to convert ALL of the footage, the full clips, to ProRes 422, with matching timecode. Which would then beg the question, if you have the space to do this, why not do it from the outset?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Craig Jackson
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:56:53 pm

Hi Shane. Thanks for your posts re: this issue. As of now I do not have ProRes 422 files. only the proxy and original h264. I was hoping to be able to make 422 files of only the clips located in the sequence containing the locked cut of the film once I have it finished. Is that possible?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2014 at 5:02:09 pm

[Craig Jackson] " I was hoping to be able to make 422 files of only the clips located in the sequence containing the locked cut of the film once I have it finished. Is that possible?"

Not if you do the initial conversion outside of FCP. FCP has no links or metadata claws into the footage if you do that. You cannot media manage then batch capture.

The typical offline/online workflow is this:

Log and Transfer the footage from the camera masters to ProRes Proxy.

Edit

Media Manage the sequence using the MAKE OFFLINE option...choose the compression you want to reimport the footage as...for example ProRes 422. Choose the length of your handles (I like 30-60 frames).

Mount the drive with the camera masters. Possibly load one card into the L&T window to remind FCP where they are.

Use the BATCH CAPTURE function...FCP will now batch capture using Log and Transfer and only bring in the clips used in the sequence, with handles.

If you do your initial conversion outside of FCP...this won't work. Even if you add reel numbers. FCP doesn't know where the footage came from...it has no link to the masters.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Craig Jackson
on Feb 4, 2014 at 5:51:49 pm

Thanks Shane. It's my first big edit and I'm learning some hard lessons here. Wondering if there's anything I can do to clean up the project if the majority of the footage has been converted to prores in Mpeg Streamclip. L&T doesn't work well with the 5D MKIII. Side note : does L&T create an additional copy of media in the capture scratch?

Would it be better for me to use Compressor to create all the prores files from here on in (that way they retain their original TC) or should I just continue down the rabbit hole of Mpeg Streamclip and manually reconnect the media for the online hoping that the edit points don't change when I do connect to the 422 files.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Feb 4, 2014 at 6:18:57 pm

[Craig Jackson] "L&T doesn't work well with the 5D MKIII."

Yeah...then you might need to forgo the offline approach and do this all full res. Or use another NLE that can do this properly.

[Craig Jackson] "Side note : does L&T create an additional copy of media in the capture scratch?"

L&T does what MPEG STREAMCLIP does...makes a new clip in the compression you want...only it puts it in the Capture Scratch. It doesn't make two copies...it looks at the original, and makes a ProRes version. But it won't work with the Mark III. That's the danger of sticking with old NLE's and using new cameras...the support for those cameras isn't there.

If I were you, I'd bring in all the footage full res ProRes 422. I wouldn't mess with offline/online anything. Use Compressor and turn on QMASTER to enable all the cores to attack the footage. And get more storage.

or, I'd use another NLE like Premiere Pro, that doesn't recompress at all, but edits with the camera originals. Just copy them to your media drive and edit away. Much less space, no recompression. Or use Avid MC, that can AMA link to the footage, transcode it to Dnx36 (similar to ProRes Proxy)...edit, then relink to the masters and transcode the whole sequence to DNxHD 145.

But if you are going to stick with FCP 7...I'd go full res all the way.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Craig Jackson
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:19:25 pm

At this point could I use pluraleyes to sync audio in an h264 timeline then reconnect the h264 clips back to the prores files. That way audio is synced and I'm editing with prores that has timecode which is exactly the same as the h264 timecode.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 4, 2014 at 10:35:12 am

Craig,
Of course the metadata was changed by QTchange, it has added a TC track :-)
Nevertheless, i highly doubt that this has corrupted the files in any way.
What could have happened is that the project is not totally aware the files have changed. Try creating a fresh project, import the prores in there and see if that fixes your problem.

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Craig Jackson
on Feb 4, 2014 at 3:39:02 pm

That is exactly what I did Bouke. I imported the newly time-coded prores files from qtChange in to a fresh project and then imported the corresponding h4n audio. When I went to sync the audio and proxy with pluraleyes I received the error message above. I was not aware that qtChange would be altering the clips in such a way that FCP would not be able to generate an xml.

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
on Feb 4, 2014 at 4:29:07 pm

I highly doubt that FCP refuses to make XML files from QTchange altered clips. (At least i've never seen it happen...)
Did you try PluralEyes support?

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]