FORUMS: list search recent posts

Automating timeline setup for multicam edits

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kristel Ottis
Automating timeline setup for multicam edits
on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:09:08 pm
Last Edited By Kristel Ottis on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:31:35 pm

I am on the hunt for ways to streamline our media management workflow and came across a step that doesn't seem to have an obvious solution.

The end goal: set up the timeline for multicam edits so that all audio+video tracks (from 5-12 different cameras) are perfectly synced. All cameras have the same number of audio tracks (usually 8) and the same starting timecode.

The current approach: drag Clip 1 to timeline. Drag Clip 2 to timeline, creating more video tracks above Clip 1 + more audio tracks below Clip 1. Repeat with all camera angles, ending up with a project that has 8 video tracks and 64 audio tracks on average. Then go through all clips to sync, making minor adjustments along the way.

While the syncing probably cannot be automated, I feel like there should be an easier way to dump a selection of clips onto the timeline. With the same starting time code. Without losing any tracks in the process.

The dragging and dropping is tedious, time-consuming and subject to human error. Can anyone think of a way to automate? A little script perhaps?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Automating timeline setup for multicam edits
on Feb 3, 2014 at 9:41:01 pm

Google "Pluraleyes." That'll automate everything.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Feb 3, 2014 at 10:08:30 pm

Sounds like the issue with Pluraleyes was the processing time.

Our average project has 12 tracks of 1080p Apple Pro Res footage, with all clips being over two hours long. Each angle is over 100GB. (Hence trying to automate the individual steps in the syncing process.)

Will still test it out though!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Feb 3, 2014 at 10:28:22 pm

rather than drag to the timeline, drag to the canvas, and drop in the Superimpose window.
OR double click into the viewer, and use F12 to superimpose.

i think if you start with angle 1 on V1, then superimpose 12, 11, 10, 9 etc you will get the layout you want.

you should probably give Pluraleyes a go,
or better, FCPX, which has a similar function built in.

nick

Return to posts index

Kristel Ottis
on Feb 4, 2014 at 1:47:30 am

Thank you!

I don't think we are quite ready to make the full transition to FCPX yet, but I'll definitely give PluralEyes another whirl.

Spoke with one of the Red Giant reps today who said that they rebuilt the app from the ground up since the last time we tried it - so I'm certain there will be some improvement when it comes to processing.

Will report back with results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]