FORUMS: list search recent posts

Edit project with 3 Different Frame Rates in FCP??

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kohn Wynn
Edit project with 3 Different Frame Rates in FCP??
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:08:10 pm

PLEASE HELP !! this is my 1st job in freelance editor.
I have a project edit a documentary with 3Cams and 3 difference frame rates:
Canon 60D
FPS: 23.98
Curent size: 1.920 - 1080 (Actual)

Canon 7D
FPS: 25
Curent size: 1.920 - 1080 (Actual)

Canon 60D
FPS: 29.97
Curent size: 1.920 - 1080

1/What is the best way to end up with ONE project in FCP, combining these three different sets of properties?
2/Best format to convert to from Mpegstreamclip and working perfectly with FCP
3/A different between 1920-1080 (Actual) and 1920-1080 (unscale)?

thank you very much

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Edit project with 3 Different Frame Rates in FCP??
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:47:00 pm

[Kohn Wynn] "1/What is the best way to end up with ONE project in FCP, combining these three different sets of properties?"

Choose the frame rate you want to end up with...deliver...and convert all the others to match, first converting them to ProRes. Now, this won't be smooth, because all of your footage is progressive. There's no spreading frames out between fields like you can do with 23.98 to 29.97...that's the smoothest conversion. But you don't have interlaced. Progressive makes this a lot harder. The footage will have residual stutter.

HOW to convert? Depends on your time, budget..and what you'll be converting to.

[Kohn Wynn] "2/Best format to convert to from Mpegstreamclip and working perfectly with FCP"

ProRes 422.

[Kohn Wynn] "3/A different between 1920-1080 (Actual) and 1920-1080 (unscale)?"

1920x1080 ACTUAL means the footage was actually shot full frame 1920x1080. UPSCALE means it was shot at another frame size (say 1280x720) and scaled up. All the cameras listed shoot full frame 1920x1080.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kohn Wynn
on Jan 28, 2014 at 11:54:15 pm

u r the best Shane.

i'm using Mpegstreamclip to convert files:
Original file from 60D: 115Mb
Apple ProRes422 file: 279.3Mb
APPLE HDV 1080i: 66.2 Mb

1/am i still using APR422?

i picked a 23.97 to work with this project. All 3 different frame rates will be convert to same 23.97 / Apple Prores 422. and that will be it right Shane? it will be fine in FCP right? no problem at all? Do i need to do any other step before editing? in Mpeg Streamclip Dialogue i will do like this:

Choose Apple Proress 422.
Best quality 100%
Frame size: 1920-1080 (unscaled)
Frame Rate: 23.97
interlaced scaling: Unchecked
is it right?

thanks again Shane.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 29, 2014 at 12:09:45 am

[Kohn Wynn] "1/am i still using APR422?"

YES! HDV is highly compressed and is doggy doo! Especially if you CONVERT to it. Shot with it is acceptable...barely (Many many networks will not accept footage shot on HDV. There are a few exceptions). But CONVERTING to this GOP format over ProRes? Ick. No...not wise.

[Kohn Wynn] "i picked a 23.97 to work with this project. All 3 different frame rates will be convert to same 23.97 / Apple Prores 422. and that will be it right Shane?"

Yes. But do NOT convert the frame rate with MPEG STREAMCLIP. Use Compressor. For the 29.97 footage, in the FRAME CONTROLS area of the Inspector, set everything to BEST...and then wait a LONG TIME as this conversion happens. Best if you have another machine for this as this will tie up the machine for a while.

For the 25fps footage...simply convert it to ProRes, then use CINEMA TOOLS to "conform" the frame rate to 23.98. It will be sped up slightly, but not noticeably. The audio will be slightly higher in pitch as well, so you can lower that. That is for the smoothest conversion. You can use Compressor, but then that, like FCP, will just drop one frame per second, so there'll be slight skippiness. You can, if you want, just edit that in FCP directly...no conversion. If you don't want to go the Cinema Tools conform route.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kohn Wynn
on Jan 29, 2014 at 2:02:57 am

you are my life saver. thank you very very much Shane.
i really do appreciated yr help.

Return to posts index

Kohn Wynn
on Feb 6, 2014 at 12:23:54 am

hi Shane!
i'm done with the converting APR422/23.98 Frame rate and everything look great.
Now, time to pull the footages to FCP. i think i did something NOT right in "Easy set-up", "System Set-up". because: either the footage has no sounds at all or the speed runs faster the actual speed. and Yes, the sounds are lightly pitch up.
I did double check most of my footage after converted, (using Quick Time Player)everything r right and nice. but, they're not right when i pull in fcp.
NEED HELP my super life saver.

Return to posts index

Kohn Wynn
on Feb 6, 2014 at 6:50:41 pm

i got it. thx anw.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]