FORUMS: list search recent posts

7d footage shot in NTSC at 50fps synch to audio issue

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Russell Stedman
7d footage shot in NTSC at 50fps synch to audio issue
on Jan 28, 2014 at 1:11:42 pm

Hi there,

I am fairly new to editing, my tech knowledge is not that great and could do with some help synching audio please.

I am trying to synch 7d footage shot at 50fps NTSC with wav files (both audio rates appear to be 48khz)
I am getting drifting after synching up in FCP7 so I am presuming it is my sequence settings that are the issue. Can anybody please tell me how to set up FCP to avoid this issue please.

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 7d footage shot in NTSC at 50fps synch to audio issue
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:58:09 pm

First off, 50fps is not NTSC, that's a PAL format. 720p50. NTSC would be 720p60, or 1080p30

Second, did you convert the footage to ProRes before you attempted this? Because FCP does not work with the native format (H.264) that the camera shoots.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Russell Stedman
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:37:42 pm

Hey, thanks for this. My apologies also, the camera man has since told me that it was 30fps he was shooting at, not 50, which was part of the confusion.

I haven't converted the footage to pro res no. It's something I have done before and know how to do, but on this occasion there were some mixed messages about what was required.

Essentially I need to provide the client with synched rushes with 7d footage shot at 1920, 30fps and .wav audio files. They then need to be exported so they are able to be broadcast in the States.

If you are able to give me a quick run down of what FCP7 sequence and export settings I should use I would be really grateful,

Many thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:47:31 pm

What does the client want? They should be the ones to specify what format to give them. You do need to convert to ProRes 422 first, then sync. But then ask them what format they want. They won't be broadcasting your rushes...they will be editing them. ProRes 422 seems like the obvious choice, but I never assume, I ask.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Russell Stedman
on Jan 28, 2014 at 6:57:00 pm

What does the client want? They should be the ones to specify what format to give them. You do need to convert to ProRes 422 first, then sync. But then ask them what format they want. They won't be broadcasting your rushes...they will be editing them. ProRes 422 seems like the obvious choice, but I never assume, I ask.

Absolutely, please forgive my poor writing

I basically need to export high res synched rushes, .mov files are fine I believe. So as long as I convert to pro res and re import, when I drag the files onto the timeline and FCP converts the settings the wavs should match yes?

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:11:36 pm

[Russell Stedman] "I basically need to export high res synched rushes, .mov files are fine I believe."

MOV is a container. All that means is a QUICKTIME FILE. It can contain ProRes, or H.264, or Sorenson, or MPEG-2, or Animation. If all they ask for is a high res QT file, I'd send ProRes 422.

[Russell Stedman] "So as long as I convert to pro res and re import, when I drag the files onto the timeline and FCP converts the settings the wavs should match yes?"

WAVs? Here's what you do.

1) Convert the footage to ProRes. Either with Log and Transfer or external converter like MPEG STREAMCLIP, 5DtoRGB, Compressor...

2) Import footage and WAV files.

3) Locate sync points on audio and video, and MAKE MULTICLIP. Make sure to make your WAV files the active audio in them.

4) Export these FROM THE VIEWER! This way they retain the original timecode of the camera masters. If you do it from the sequence, you cannot match back to your camera masters. Export as ProRes 422.

5) Client, or you, can then import those clips and drop into an empty sequence and FCP will make the sequence settings match the footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Russell Stedman
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:21:53 pm

Thanks so much for this Shane, I really appreciate it.

I will be back in the office tomorrow now and will give it all a go then.

Cheers

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]