FORUMS: list search recent posts

Blown out footage need immediate suggestions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chris Hill
Blown out footage need immediate suggestions
on Jan 28, 2014 at 2:49:23 am

I had my first shoot, a children's concert. I used CANON 70D, Av setting as many blogs told me too, footage looks great on the LCD screen, now Im seeing (at home/full screen) that its blown out. The stage lighting was really harsh and I couldn't tell on the small LCD, now I feel terrible because I dont know how to fix it, ive tried RGB, levels, captains blowout fixer, etc. Im using either FCP or Premiere CS6, which ever will save my ass. ANy suggestions is greatly appreciated.

this is in motion, when I zoomed in on the kids it got a little better.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Blown out footage need immediate suggestions
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:11:18 am

If it's clipped/blown out (the highlights are a thick, smashed line at the top of your waveform monitor and you bring down the highlight levels but no detail appears in white-hot areas) then there's nothing that can be done as no image information was recorded in those areas of the frame.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 28, 2014 at 3:05:56 pm

Wait a minute. Are you telling us that even now, on playback from the camera, the footage looks better-exposed on the camera's LCD display, with details preserved? If that's the case, then there may be hope, because it suggests that there was something about the way you got the footage out of the camera, or something set wrong in the TV you are watching, that is raising the brightness too high.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:43:23 pm

yes on the camera LCD it looks better, not great, just better. A lot more detail, I am looking at it in both FCP and CS6. Both with blown out features, on my iMac. I was curious to see the HDMI out to a TV but I dont have the camera with me, it was a rental.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 4:41:42 pm

I did go into the waveform and tried to pull down the whites but they seem to stay at 100. I have tweaked a few filters making it slightly better so I still have hope. Though it may be lost. and I feel terrible.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:36:28 pm

Wish we could see what "a lot more detail" looks like on the LCD screen.

I'm trying to figure out what you might have done to "ok" footage that would present as totally blown out and useless. In the analog TV days, you could get something like that by having an unterminated RF connector. Today, I dunno, getting the blending mode set wrong might do it.

Can you get the camera back? Based just on what you've said, I think that's your only hope.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 5:42:43 pm

what would that do, if I had the camera? can I capture direct from HDMI, I read up on that and people say its laggy. I agree, the camera may be the best option, I had even considered use the A/V out and capturing live,....wont be HD but the details will be there....in theory.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:32:51 pm

What I'd like you to do is set up the footage in FCP, with the waveforms and scopes turned on, and use the free "grab" utility in your Utilities folder, to take a snapshot of the entire desktop:. Then post it using the little gadget just above the comment box here.

With that, got to a clip of the footage, right click on it, get the properties, and snap a picture of that info and post it.

Do the same for the Sequence setting and FCP Video output settings.

We can't see what's wrong without a visual aid.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 7:38:47 pm

OK when I get home I will do that, thanks very much.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:48:25 pm

ok here is all the info you request, I hope it helps, I know I am sorta screwed and will have to make do. Again, much appreciated for the help.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 28, 2014 at 8:51:11 pm

Under "Item properties", I was hoping to see the FORMAT tab...

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:16:21 pm

crap! back at work, how would that help, just curious.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:40:47 pm

We have to know what format everything is in first, so we can eliminate certain issues. I'm taking whacks at the pinata here, because you insisted the footage looked acceptable in the LCD viewfinder while shooting, and if that is true, then *maybe* the footage is at least patly recoverable, but you've somehow added a problem in the way it was transferred into the editing system. It could be you're just SOL, but I'm looking for a loophole.

Have you tried applying the 3-way color corrector to these clips yet? What about playing with the blending modes?

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 28, 2014 at 9:56:45 pm

yes I have tried 3-way, again much appreciated for all the help and suggestions. I have done blending, that seems to work the best thus-far. Once I am home again I will put the FORMAT tab. the LCD looked better, I could see more detail or I would have never had shot this way. I was constantly referencing the LCD during the shoot.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 29, 2014 at 6:35:52 am

yes I have tried 3-way, again much appreciated for all the help and suggestions. I have done blending, that seems to work the best thus-far. Once I am home again I will put the FORMAT tab. the LCD looked better, I could see more detail or I would have never had shot this way. I was constantly referencing the LCD during the shoot.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:09:47 am

I doubt it would be causing this problem, but you should transcode H.264 files into ProRes before you work with them in FCP 7.

What does the footage look like if you use QuickTime to playback the files?

If you shoot something with your 7D right now and then open that clip up in FCP 7 does it look right? I mean does what you see in FCP look similar to what you see on the LCD of the 7D (it won't look exactly the same)?

Are you using any hacks on your camera like Magic Lantern?

When you used the 3-way to bring down the highlights the whole image became darker but no more detail emerged on the kids correct?

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 30, 2014 at 5:36:20 am

I dont use any hacks and the camera was not mine so I dont have it present. Opened in quick itme looks the same, I have used some levels / blending and its the best I can do it seems.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 30, 2014 at 3:31:39 pm

I'm looking at your "format" tab.

Dude, you're trying to edit h.264 on an FCP7 timeline... you can't do that.

Run this footage thru Compressor to transcode it to Apple ProRes422, then bring that pro res footage into your FCP7 timeline and tell us what it looks like.

One other thing you might try this weekend: download the free trial version of FCPX, import this footage, see what it look like there.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:22:07 pm

woah! learned something new! Could I used MPEG streamclip instead, compressor seems to take forever.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 30, 2014 at 4:34:09 pm

Sure, go crazy.

Return to posts index

Chris Hill
on Jan 31, 2014 at 3:36:31 am

I will try the FCPX next, the PRO res actually lets me mess with the 3-way-color corrector . Still loss of data it seems. What should I do next? hah sorry I am so noobish at this, first time experiencing footage I had to alter.

thanks!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 31, 2014 at 5:25:15 pm

Report back and post before/after stills or video clips when you've tried it all.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]