FORUMS: list search recent posts

Re-editing delivery materials

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
tom bailey
Re-editing delivery materials
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:12:29 pm

I would be very grateful for some help with a workflow....
I'm re-editing a short film (in a last ditch attempt for festival success) and don't have the budget to go back into the online process. Therefore I want to work from the delivery materials.

When I finish re-editing I want to export to an 1080 uncompressed AVI, mpg-4 format for BluRay, and a format for HDCAM (I believe mpg2 was the delivery last time).
Is it possible to export to these formats from final cut 7 or x, and failing that from Avid 3.0.5 ?

As importantly, can I import the delivery file without compression.

Any other suggestion that avoid going back through the online would be welcome.

Thank you for your help.
Bailey

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Re-editing delivery materials
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:39:09 pm

Possible, but FCp doesn't do this as well as Compressor, which comes with the FCP suite. I'd say do all your conversions and final output in Compressor, and good luck!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2014 at 8:52:40 pm

For HDCAM, you need to deliver what the place doing the output requires. Say, for example, you onlined at ProRes HQ...then export a ProRes HQ file by simply doing Export Quicktime Movie. It's full res. But again, check with the place doing the output to tape.

Why AVI for BluRay? BluRay authoring will take H.264 QT files too. I guess it depends on who's doing the authoring. But FCP nor Compressor do AVI. That's a PC container type (just like Quicktime is a Mac container type...same codec can be had in both, but the container is different. MP4, AVI, Quicktime...simply containers).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

tom bailey
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:29:11 pm

Thanks for the info Shane.

The .AVI was just as a digital master file. I'm happy to use a different container, but is a QT .mov a more compressed codec/container? or will it make little difference to the quality of the output?

I intended to create .m4v files ( incidentally, is this the same as mpeg 4?) for the BluRay as this was the format of the previous delivery.

The file .m4v format contains 3 files, what is the purpose of this, does the xmpses direct the two files to come together?
mov.m4v
.mov.m4v.xmpses
.mov.wav

Can Compressor create these three components automatically?

Previous I believe we created mpeg2 for HDCAM.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 27, 2014 at 10:50:35 pm

[tom bailey] "but is a QT .mov a more compressed codec/container? or will it make little difference to the quality of the output?"

NO, and no. They are just containers...the compression comes from the codec used in them.

[tom bailey] "
I intended to create .m4v files ( incidentally, is this the same as mpeg 4?)"

Yes...very similar. M4V was designed by Apple, like QT was. Just a container.

[tom bailey] "The file .m4v format contains 3 files, what is the purpose of this, does the xmpses direct the two files to come together?"

Sorry, no clue.

[tom bailey] "Can Compressor create these three components automatically?"

Not sure. My older Compressor, that came with FCP 7, can't do that.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

tom bailey
on Jan 27, 2014 at 9:12:38 pm

Thanks for the response Mark!- I shall attempt this in Compressor.

One of my concerns is bringing the file into FCP without compressing it. If I leave the project settings set to: 'set from first clip' will that be non destructive to an uncompressed .AVI?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 27, 2014 at 11:33:02 pm

Regarding AVI, see Shane's answer. It can't hurt to try; why not do a short test sample and see for yourself? Anything I'd say at tis point would just be a guess until I tried it myself. My bottom line is: if it needs transcoding or compression, and it is one of the formats Compressor can handle, then do it in Compressor as a first choice, versus "Using quicktime conversion".

Return to posts index

tom bailey
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:42:46 am

Thanks Mark and Shane, Once I've done my edit I will get to exporting, then I will try out these various tips.

Thank you for your time!

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 28, 2014 at 10:50:34 am

so you are wanting to edit an AVI in FCP?
while possible it can be painful.

what is the format of your master?
codec, frame size frame rate.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]