FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing sequence settings while edit

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mikiko Katsuno
Changing sequence settings while edit
on Jan 27, 2014 at 6:59:16 am

God evening, fellows!
I have a question about changing sequence settings while editing on Final Cut Pro 7.

I have footages shot by Canon 5D Mark II which are QuickTime movie of 1920x1080 24p with H.264 codec.
Also, I have sound that are recorded separately from cameras to replace with audio recorded by internal mics on cameras.

My job is to sync the external audio and video together and send the Final Cut Pro 7 project file to an editor oversea.

As you know, h.264 codec sequence in final cut is editable, but not really suitable when it comes to some kind of complex edits such as using effects, putting text layers and changing colors.
I know it's the best to convert these files first to make it suitable for final cut editing. (Apple ProRes 422 HQ in 23.98fps for instance.)

However, if I want to save time to convert the files first and use sequence settings that's set to the original clip(h.264)to sync the audio and video, is it possible for the editor oversea to change the sequence settings later to a final cut friendly sequence settings when he edits?

Is it gonna be like this?

-change the sequence settings

-reconnect media(let's say he already has all the files converted to Apple ProRes 422 HQ in 23.98fps from the original clips without changing file names)

-everything is right there!

Please, help me!

Mikiko Katsuno

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Changing sequence settings while edit
on Jan 27, 2014 at 4:49:56 pm

[Mikiko Katsuno] "As you know, h.264 codec sequence in final cut is editable, but not really suitable when it comes to some kind of complex edits such as using effects, putting text layers and changing colors."

No...it's not suitable at all. All sorts of issues arise, like loss of sync, either while editing or when you export...quality issues when you export, sluggishness, general errors, linking issues when you open projects on other computers...excessive render times. FCP isn't designed to edit H.264...even though it SEEMS like it will. You always, ALWAYS convert to ProRes before you start editing. Always.

[Mikiko Katsuno] "I know it's the best to convert these files first to make it suitable for final cut editing."

Then why didn't you?

[Mikiko Katsuno] "However, if I want to save time to convert the files first and use sequence settings that's set to the original clip(h.264)to sync the audio and video, is it possible for the editor oversea to change the sequence settings later to a final cut friendly sequence settings when he edits?"

That "saving time" now will cause issues down the road...issues that will take more time to solve than the time initially saved. It isn't worth it. NEVER edit with H.264 sequence settings, even if your footage is ProRes. Convert the footage to ProREs, use ProREs settings. Sync to the ProRes footage....in other words, use ProRes from the start.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mikiko Katsuno
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:18:04 pm

Thanks Shane, you confirmed what I was thinking was actually right.
I made this post to support what one of my director says.
She is the one who told me to edit in original h.264 format to save time.
She is the one who was stopping me to do it right.
I'm glad you told me that.

However, I have one more question to ask.
So, I converted the original clips to Apple ProRes 422 HQ 1920x1080, 23.98 fps over the night.
Then when I set up the editing sequence in Easy Setup I chose

Format:HD,
Rate: 23.98fps
USe: HDV-Apple ProRes 422 1080p24

I realized the sequence preset says
"Apple ProRes 422 1440x1080 24p 48kHz"
not 1920x1080.

Is that going to be a problem if I choose "Yes" to
Final Cut Pro 7 asking to see if I want to edit in the same format as the clip?

Mikiko Katsuno

Return to posts index

Mikiko Katsuno
on Jan 27, 2014 at 7:31:50 pm

Actually, I found I can solve the above issue by choosing

"Sequence Preset Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) 1920x1080 24p 48kHz"
and
"Capture Preset: HDV-Apple ProRes 422(HQ)"
in Audio/Video settings.

Thanks for your advice, anyway!

Mikiko Katsuno