FORUMS: list search recent posts

Color Balancing an entire sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tanmay Chowdhary
Color Balancing an entire sequence
on Jan 25, 2014 at 1:02:42 pm

Hi All,

I have created a short video which comprises of shots which have too much variation in color. This is probably because of the difference in time of the day the shooting was done. For example, some shots have a nice natural orange hue because it was shot during sunset, while some have a nice purple tinge because it was shot at a different time. The video is designed in such a way that I cannot really group these similar colored shots together and they have to almost go alternately for the story to build up in the proper way. This transition from one scene to the other is not very nice because the color is way too different from one shot to the other.

I tried using color corrector 3-way and also tried using the sepia effect first and then using the eyedropper to select a color from the next scene to try to match it better. None of these techniques worked well for me . Would anyone happen to know the best way of balancing the colors out through out the movie so that it goes along well ?

Regards,
Tanmay

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Color Balancing an entire sequence
on Jan 25, 2014 at 6:39:23 pm

Trying to explain the practice of color correction (grading) on a forum post is near impossible. This is a skill that people earn a living doing...colorists. I suggest you find a colorist and have them grade the footage. If you don't have a budget for this, try to get someone to pitch in their expertise. But this is a part of the process that major productions budget time and money for, because it's pretty critical.

Colorists not only balance shots so they match, but can also grade the footage to evoke certain emotions.

But yeah, you need a colorist. No way to tell you how to balance all this footage in a forum post, even if you posted pictures, it'd be complicated.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Tanmay Chowdhary
Re: Color Balancing an entire sequence
on Jan 26, 2014 at 8:41:37 am

Hi Shane,

Thanks for that feedback. I am actually making a very short independent video and have no budget at all. From what i have gathered so far, i might just have to individually go on to each clip and use the color corrector on them and try for a best match. Is there an easier and accurate way to go about this ?

Regards,
Tanmay

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]