FORUMS: list search recent posts

Need advice to update our edit system, it's been awhile

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joel Van Nice
Need advice to update our edit system, it's been awhile
on Jan 23, 2014 at 11:48:16 pm

Looking to upgrade our church's video edit system. We are currently running Final Cut Pro 6.06 on a Power Mac PC G5 Quad with 6 GB of Memory with 2 500 GB internal hard drives and a Rosewill Raid set with 2 TB hard drive. We have had this system since 2006 and it has been a real work horse. We produce a weekly "Around Bel-Aire in 80 seconds" and also record and process the weekly services through the edit system. The problem is that it has been crashing from time to time and I have to reboot from the Operating Disk to get it going again. Right now this system crashes about once a month and it takes a while to get it going again. I'm afraid this thing is going to crash and I will lose it all at some point so I told the faculty that we need to start looking to buying a new system soon.

We will be doing some fundraisers soon to help pay for the system and the goal is to raise $5 to 10 K. I appreciate any advice on Edit systems and software. I noticed BandHphotovideo turnkey systems did not use the new Final Cut X and was going to Adobe Premiere. I use Compressor, DVD Studio Pro, Live Type quite a bit. I only use Motion every now and then. We are using a Sony HXR-MC2000 video camera.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Need advice to update our edit system, it's been awhile
on Jan 24, 2014 at 2:34:57 pm

An iMac would be the perfect system for you. Ditch FCP 6 and go with Adobe Premiere or FCP X. FCP X will be a new learning curve.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Creative Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 24, 2014 at 3:07:23 pm

You can't really go wrong with either Premiere or FCPX. However, Premiere uses the Creative cloud rent-ware system now, whereas you can straight-up own FCPx for 300 bucks.

They say working in Premiere is like working in a Final Cut Pro 8 or 9 that never actually existed. It should feel fairly familiar. You can get it with AE, which is very powerful, and there are lots of templates out there to use with AE.

FCPX is a bit more different than FCP6, but, it's fast and has a lot of automation in it in terms of audio and color tweaking. If you have multiple cameras to synch up, FCPX promises to make that easy. Motion5 is cheap to own as well, and contains most of the best of what you had in LiveType, plus much more.

Return to posts index

Joel Van Nice
on Jan 24, 2014 at 10:44:54 pm

Thanks, I think Final Cut Pro X maybe the way to go. Mark and Steve I appreciate the feedback.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]