FORUMS: list search recent posts

Graphic for Web video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Neil Orman
Graphic for Web video
on Jan 23, 2014 at 5:54:57 pm

Hello,
I'm working in FCP7 on a series of videos similar to the sample below, and I need to properly instruct a graphic designer on what I need for a repeatable, tweakable infographic, similar to the one at the start of this video. So if anyone has any quick advice on the brief instructions I should give him, I would certainly appreciate it. There's a graphic at the beginning of this video, and we need a similar graphic template, one where I can simply change the person's name and title, without having to ask him to do it each time. My questions include both what is the best format to ask for, as well as the size/resolution I should specify. On the format is it best to ask for an Illustrator file or something else? (I have the Adobe CS4 suite on my system, so I could tweak the template in Illustrator or Photoshop if that helps.) I figured he'd probably send us a PDF, but like I said I need it in a form where I can change the name and title myself, and then if necessary I could convert it myself into whatever format was necessary for a FCP7 timeline. In terms of the resolution it's for a video to be displayed on Youtube, shot at 720/24PN, at I usually compress it to 1280 X 720 for Youtube. Do I just say I need it at 1280X720. I was particularly confused on this point, because when I check the compressed video file's dimensions it says 1920 X 1080.
Here's that sample video, with the kind of graphic we're going for:

Thanks very much,
Neil

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Graphic for Web video
on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:21:59 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 23, 2014 at 6:33:02 pm

That's pretty easy stuff. Why not have the designer make a still with the nice ramping on the background, and the logo in place? Then you can add whatever text you'd like in FCP. I'm not in front of a Mac, but I know there's a fancier text app in FCP that should do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Jan 23, 2014 at 7:49:27 pm

Thanks Dave. That sounds like a great approach, in terms of him just creating the background. When you say 'still,' I'm assuming you mean he could give me a JPEG, PDF or whatever, or do you think some, like TIFF, are better? Just let me know if you or anyone else thinks the file type matters, and also how high-res or big the file needs to be. Then I guess I'd just lay the text on top of it. And I'd definitely be interested in that fancier text app you mentioned for Final Cut, because when I create text in Final Cut it usually doesn't look this slick. So just let me know if you come across that info.
Much appreciated again,
Neil

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 23, 2014 at 10:53:21 pm

Now I'm in front of an Avid, and that's no help... but it's in with the other FCP effects; I believe it's made by Boris. Just nose around and you'll find it.

PNG's are good to use for stills in FCP. Either 1920x1080 or 1280x720 for HD.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 24, 2014 at 9:18:16 pm

The "fancier" app is BorisTitle 3D, and you access it from the same button/drop-down menu you use to get the regular text tool.

The highest quality format you can use for the background "plate" would be a targa or a tiff file, ( .tga or .tif)

Photoshop .PSD files work as well, and if they can remember to preserve the layers and alpha channel, you can use that as a template and re-type on just the test layer.

A jpeg is all right if it is of high enough resolution, but only those first three have alpha channel in them.

.png also has alpha, but it's not as good as the other ones, IMO.

if you have the FCP7. Final Cut Suite3, you also have Motion, where you can REALLY make great, fast, video-useable graphics and titlet, and create detailed templates that are fast and easy to update.

Return to posts index

Neil Orman
on Jan 26, 2014 at 1:26:29 pm

This info is hugely helpful, much appreciated Mark.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]