FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Merged Clip Batch Export Errors

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Doug Johnson
FCP Merged Clip Batch Export Errors
on Jan 22, 2014 at 7:46:59 pm

Hi all,

Nothing would make me happier than to discover I'm doing something really stupid here and learn from my mistakes.

The Arena: Final Cut Pro 7.0.3 on MacPro 3.33GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon, 32GB RAM, all media on EZ-Quest 2TB external drive via eSATA (over 700GB free space remaining on drive)

The Fighters: Apple ProRes 4444 footage from an Alexa shoot (no camera audio) with 4-tracks of external audio in WAV format

Round One: I manually synced audio and video in sequence timeline via timecode (Referees might give me a warning on that I bet, but Merge Clips from browser was unsuccessful for me), then dragged all clips back to a new folder in the browser. Some clips were shot MOS, therefore no audio to sync.

Round Two: Selected all new clips and attempted a Batch Export. In Batch Export, clips with synced audio appeared as "Merged Clip" in the Type column, while the MOS clips appeared as simply "Clip"

Round Three: Changed settings to Quicktime Custom with the goal of exporting synced Apple ProRes (LT) movies for editor. MOS clips exported fine, but all Merged Clips failed with a General Error. Specifically: The batch export failed for some items. Please view the status column to identify which items had errors.

Round Four: Attempted to export individual Merged Clips by same method. Experienced same errors.

Standing 8-Count that I'm hoping doesn't end in a TKO.

Also had hoped to export h264 files via Batch Export for the director, but first things first.

Thanks for your time all. The COW has saved my ass many times in many different scenarios!

Doug

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Merged Clip Batch Export Errors
on Jan 22, 2014 at 9:47:47 pm

[Doug Johnson] "Merge Clips from browser was unsuccessful for me"

How so? Not work? Did it give you an error?

As for Rounds 3 & 4...if you export anything from the timeline, the exported files inherit the timeline timecode, reel information...most other metadata, and lose any and all connection to the original masters. So relinking those files to the originals cannot happen in any automated way...you'd have to eyematch and re-cut everything.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Doug Johnson
on Jan 22, 2014 at 10:08:04 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks for the response! I was ending up with out of sync audio when I tried to Merge Clips via timecode from the browser, which I can't explain. I'm going to try to duplicate that problem after my current exports are finished.

For now, I'm exporting with Compressor instead of Batch. (I was never exporting straight from the timeline, always from the browser.)

My exports through Batch were also looking contrasty and saturated, and I really never export straight from FCP for weirdnesses just like that, but was doing my best to follow guidelines I'd picked up for my task at hand.

So, I have a workflow that's working for all my needs now, just still wondering why those errors were happening with the Merged Clips in Batch mode.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 24, 2014 at 9:49:34 am

i tend to do my transcoding first,
then sync the audio to the new video files
that way i don't lose the audio TC

i have also may have had problems exporting multitrack audio via batch export.
not sure how it handles it, as in do you get multitrack audio back??
probably not, so you are creating a whole world of problems for down the track with regards to audio post.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]