Need Advice : New Edit Suite needs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
robert mckoen
Need Advice : New Edit Suite needs
on Jan 22, 2014 at 4:45:39 pm
Last Edited By robert mckoen on Jan 22, 2014 at 6:12:19 pm

Hi all,

My work is moving into a new building and I've been given the task of compiling a list of needs/wants for a new edit suite. Now I've trolled the net looking for information and I seem to keep going around in circles so I'm hoping the CCow group can help me out.

Company I work for does is live event broadcasting with sports being our main focus. Broadcasting on tv etc.

Right now I am only working on a 27" imac so I'll be jumping up to the big leagues. I use FCP 7/X, CS6 - AE/PS working with HD files primarily but in the next year or two I could see me working with 4K files.

I haven't been given a budget but I've been told that if I can give a good reason for a purchase then my company will find the money.

Right now this is what I am considering.

Mac Pro - Considering this

3.5 Ghz - 6 core processor
32 GB DDR3 ram (comes with 4 x 4GB sticks - upgrade to 4 x 8GB sticks)
512 GB flash storage (1TB add $500.00)
Firepro D700 GPU - graphics card

Now I know it's only the 6 core but I don't think I need to break the bank as well as I feel this might be the most cost efficient at the moment. I can always upgrade the CPU down the road. That's what I have researched.

Computer Monitors - Extremely conflicted on this topic. I need 3 monitors. A dual display and a broadcast grade LCD. I've been jumping back and forth on the monitors. I'd like to have atleast a 24 - 27" monitors, HD, and be able to have accurate colour representation. Now we cant afford something like a Flanders Scientific for the broadcast monitor so what can I use? Is it a mistake to purchase three of the same monitors and dedicated one for video monitoring? Budget per monitor could be as high as $800 each.

I had been looking at the Dell 27" Ultrasharp and was almost sold on it until I read a lot of reviews about a green tint/hue, and some crazy QC issues with the build of the monitor, bleeding at the edges.

thought about the Samsung 27" S27A850D but then saw neg posts about samsung monitors.

Or what about the NEC E or P series monitors? Or combination of Two E's and One P for video output?

For video input/output - what could I use? AJA, blackmagic?

Audio monitors/mixer - considering.

KRK Rokit self power audio monitors
or Samson Resolv a8
others??

Mixer - Mackie board (1202)

I'm under the gun as I need to get a list of equipment in the next week. I know this is a lot and I have scoured this forum and everything in between but I've come full circle and just feel completely confused. I don't want to waste my companies money on equipment that is inferior or not suited for video editing. So I hope those reading this can help out.

Thank you for taking the time to read and post. If you have any questions please ask away.

cheer,

Rob

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]