FORUMS: list search recent posts

Video Playback Problems after Reconnecting Media

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kelly Rhodes
Video Playback Problems after Reconnecting Media
on Jan 17, 2014 at 5:13:52 pm

Has anyone come across this before? I originally edited a video in FCP 7 on my Mac (2 x 2.4 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon Processor, 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 of memory) and stored all of the connected videos and media content in a folder on the Mac as well. During the entire editing process my Mac seemed to handle everything well and I had no playback problems whatsoever.

After completing the video I copied the the FCP 7 video file along with all of it's media files to the main server at work for final archiving. Once I reconnected all of the media files I went to playback the video from off of my employer's server and the music plays but the video stalls out and seems to get stuck. FCP seems to run slow and I get the color wheel like it's trying to process things. Is this because I am no longer working off of my lightning fast Mac and now the master video file located on my company's server has to pull information and link my files through a server, thus causing horrible playback issues? Could this be the case if we have a slower server as well?

What can I do to fix this if I ever need to make re-edits to this video? Will I have to re-copy everything back to my Mac in order for playback to be normal and be able to perform edits in the future? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Video Playback Problems after Reconnecting Media
on Jan 19, 2014 at 2:32:50 am

Not all servers are designed for the needs of playing back video files. Video files are huge and have high data rates, more than generic servers are designed for.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kelly Rhodes
Re: Video Playback Problems after Reconnecting Media
on Jan 20, 2014 at 2:09:28 pm

Thank you so much for your input. I thought this might have been the case but just needed to hear it from someone with more experience than myself. I'll make sure that if I ever need to edit the video that I will need to copy it back to my Mac first.

Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]