FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting 23,98 to 25 fps video and audio

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Juan Mora Baquero
Converting 23,98 to 25 fps video and audio
on Jan 16, 2014 at 8:17:35 pm

Hi,

I'm having a sync problem with material I shot on 23,98 fps on a Canon 7D and a Sound Devices 702, and then converted to 25 fps.
This is what I did:
I converted the original h264 Canon 7D video file (which had a 23,98 frame rate) to an Apple ProRes 422 HQ with a 25 fps frame rate on MPEG Streamclip. Then, I changed the label of the Metadata of the audio files I recorded with the Sound Devices to 25 fps using WaveAgent.
I imported all those files to a Final Cut Pro timeline with the proper settings (including the 25 fps frame rate) and synched them up.
With almost all of the files I had no problems, except with this one 6 minute-shot that starts to get out of synch after the 2nd minute.

I've read that there is a 4% pull-up of the speed of a file converted from 23,98 to 25 fps; I tried increasing the speed of the audio files 4 percent, but it became worse..

Can anyone give me a hand?
I would appreciate any sort of help!

Thanks,
Juan S. Mora

Return to posts index

John Pale
Re: Converting 23,98 to 25 fps video and audio
on Jan 16, 2014 at 9:40:33 pm

Don't use streamclip for the conversion to 25fps.

Convert the file to ProRes using Streamclip or Compressor. Keep it 23.98 for now.
Open the 23.98 ProRes file in CinemaTools and CONFORM it to 25. Your file is now sped up to 25fps, but retains full picture quality.

Now do the 4% speed change in Wave Agent to match.

Return to posts index

Juan Mora Baquero
Re: Converting 23,98 to 25 fps video and audio
on Jan 16, 2014 at 11:05:23 pm

Thanks for the help.

The only bad thing about increasing the speed up to 4 percent (resulting in a 50044 b/s sample rate, from a 48000 b/s original sample rate) is that the pitch of the voices goes up a notch.
But, aside from that, it worked out perfectly for the sync of the long shot.

Thanks a lot!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]