FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 - Deleting/Merging Scenes on a Feature, withought losing Sync on the rest of the Timeline

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gabriel Zavala
FCP 7 - Deleting/Merging Scenes on a Feature, withought losing Sync on the rest of the Timeline
on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:57:38 am

Editing a Feature Film on FCP 7. the length is about 2hrs .
tons of clips, sound tracks and transitions. some clips are linked to source audio some are not.

After a few test screenings it has been determined that we will whittle the feature down to 1.5 hrs.

I would like to shorten the film and replace most transitions.

Since the project is so large shrinking the timeline with the Shift Z command, gives me little visibility to the edit points.

I have cut some scenes out already, but Video and Audio further down the Timeline get nudged out of place. giving me red render lines. it is almost impossible to know when I nudge clips and audio out of place because of visibility issues, I usually blow up the clips I'm working on to see the edit points more clearly, but when I do this, FCP 7 does not let me see what is going on down the troff.

Normally I'm dealing with complicated stacking of clips for green screen sequences, or special effects on multiple clips thus highlighting the clips with a mouse drag, always makes me worry that I'm not selecting all the clips, So I can drag them to their new edit points.

I am used to shorter projects and when I cut scenes on them, I can easily see all tracks and highlight them and move them with ought any harm to syncing.

Question 1 -

How can I easily cut scenes from my Film and merge the new edits. ( real bummer to work on deleting a scene and sliding the scenes down the timeline, into their new cue point, only to notice that I have nudged some audio or video out of place )

Question 2 - How do I know if my video clip is linked to the audio tracks that I want synced, I have used Apple +L
to link and unlink, but what if I want a video to link to another audio track besides the one already locked to the original clip.

Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: FCP 7 - Deleting/Merging Scenes on a Feature, withought losing Sync on the rest of the Timeline
on Jan 15, 2014 at 3:43:32 pm

erk!

no one really edits feature films in their entirety.
they are most often worked on in smaller sections, for the reasons you are experiencing.

while editing, i tend to break the film into quarters, split along dramatic breaks / turning points.
30 minute sections are a lot simpler to deal with than 2 hour ones!

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]