FORUMS: list search recent posts

SD to HD in Final Cut Pro 6/7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
john oshea
SD to HD in Final Cut Pro 6/7
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:39:50 pm

Hi, is it possible to convert SD PAL (576x720) DVD footage in Final Cut Pro 6/7 to HD (1920x1080) Is it done at the capture stage or afterwards? What equipment & software would i need to achieve this? I currently use Ultrastudio 3D to capture SD PAL DVD onto a iMac27 and also use a Canopus ADVC300 to convert & capture onto a PowerMac G5

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: SD to HD in Final Cut Pro 6/7
on Jan 14, 2014 at 7:21:38 pm

[john oshea] "Is it done at the capture stage or afterwards?"

Depends on the tools you have at your disposal. If you have hardware solutions like a Terranex box, or AJA Kona 3...then you'd play the DVD, run the signal through those hardware options, and then capture as HD.

If you lack those, then you'd first import the DVD making it a Quicktime file...with software called MPEG STREAMCLIP. 720x480 ProRes NTSC. Then use software like Compressor or Adobe Premiere to upscale that.

[john oshea] "What equipment & software would i need to achieve this?"

Mentioned above.

[john oshea] "I currently use Ultrastudio 3D to capture SD PAL DVD onto a iMac27"

Unfortunately the Decklink capture cards/devices do SOFTWARE upscaling. It will do it, but the result won't be as good as with a Terranex (that Decklink makes) or AJA Kona 3. On the software side, I rely heavily on Adobe Premiere for upscaling, as it is really good, and fast. Compressor also does a decent job, but can take a long time...depending on the duration of your footage.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: SD to HD in Final Cut Pro 6/7
on Jan 14, 2014 at 10:44:11 pm

Resolve, which you can get a free version of, does a pretty good upscale, too.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]