FORUMS: list search recent posts

Just a GREEN IMAGE in the viewer window

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Gilbarg
Just a GREEN IMAGE in the viewer window
on Jan 14, 2014 at 1:50:38 pm

I'm starting a job using footage that was shot by someone else. I'm able to watch the footage fine in Quicktime, but when I import the footage into FCP 7.0.3, and try to play a clip, all I get is a green video image for every clip. I can hear the audio fine, but there is no video, just an all green image. I tried doing the same thing on a friend's mac who has the same version of FCP, and the clips play just fine. Very weird. I also tried to bring the clips into compressor and mpeg stream clip and they don't convert.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Just a GREEN IMAGE in the viewer window
on Jan 14, 2014 at 6:08:37 pm

What is the codec of this footage? FCP doesn't just work with any old Quicktime file. It must be in an editing codec, like ProRes 422.

[Ben Gilbarg] " I also tried to bring the clips into compressor and mpeg stream clip and they don't convert."

Why won't they convert? Where is this footage from?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ben Gilbarg
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:09:39 pm

The codec is xdvd which is weird but the odd thing is is that they play fine in a friend's version on fcp which is the same version

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 14, 2014 at 9:14:09 pm

FCP doesn't like footage that isn't in an FCP editing codec. The fact that it works initially might trick you into thinking it works fine, but during editing, or most commonly during export all sorts of issues will arise, such as loss of sync, or digital hits.

If you want to edit camera native or non-editing codecs, use Premiere Pro. FCP wants FCP media. The danger is that FCP will look like it works with other formats, when it doesn't.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ian Merrylees
on Feb 24, 2014 at 2:28:07 am

I've just found the same issue as Ben. A blank green screen but audio still present and no indication of media offline or lost links. This is with the same files which performed solidly the last time I opened these projects....and had done so for 2 years prior to that....they were long-running edits and FCP never let us down.
So nothing to do with wrong formats/codecs or settings. And nothing wrong with the gear as recent imports are playing sound and picture as expected.
Nothing about the set-up or hardware has been changed since the projects ran correctly so could there be some date-specific bug or other update getting in the way? Can media just go off after a few years?

Return to posts index

Susanna Moore
on Feb 27, 2014 at 9:27:07 am

This is what I find:

Check if the color management settings are correct.

1. Click Start, type Color Management in the Start Search box, and then press ENTER.
2. In the Color Management dialog box, click to select the Use my settings for this device check box.
3. In the Profiles associated with this device list, click the color profile that you want to remove, and then click Remove.
Note If you receive a warning message, click Yes.
4. Click Close to close the Color Management dialog box.
5. Restart the computer.
Open an image in Windows Live Photo Gallery to verify that the issue is resolved.

Maybe above is a solution for green image in the viewer window.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]