Brightness/Opacity Changes during Transitions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rachel Jordan
Brightness/Opacity Changes during Transitions
on Jan 13, 2014 at 8:03:54 pm
Last Edited By Rachel Jordan on Jan 13, 2014 at 8:15:09 pm

Hi all,
I am having an issue with the brightness of my background increasing during transitions. For example, I applied a 'slide' transition to a graphic so that it slides from the top of my canvas onto the screen. As soon as the 'slide' starts the background gets noticeably brighter only during the length of the transition. Other graphics that remain on the screen do not seem to get brighter, just the background. This occurs no matter what transition I apply in the timeline. I know I can key-frame and get the same results but I really would like to use the transitions. In the attached pictures Screen Shot #2 does not accurately show just how bright the background gets. It is a very, very noticeable change. I have tried letting the entire video render in case that was my solution but the problem is still is occurring. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Brightness/Opacity Changes during Transitions
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:03:09 pm

At a guess, when you mix two identical white backgrounds, you're increasing the overall white level during the transition time. What *specific* dissolve are you using? Additive, maybe?

Return to posts index

Rachel Jordan
on Jan 14, 2014 at 2:25:31 pm

Thanks for the response. Im not using a dissolve at all actually. The 'slide' transition is the one I am using to make a graphic come into view. There aren't any dissolves on the background at all. Thats why I find it so weird that my background is being effected by a transition that isn't on it.

Return to posts index

Joe Barta IV
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:15:22 pm
Last Edited By Joe Barta IV on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:16:11 pm

.png files do not always play well with FCP, especially in the transitions. Try using a .tif file with an alpha channel.

Bars & Tone
SALUTE!

Return to posts index

Rachel Jordan
on Jan 14, 2014 at 3:09:32 pm

Below is a screen shot of my settings. I am using FCPX so the menus are different from FCP7. I tried to find the same info in X but am unable too. Was there something specific you were wanting to see? I can hunt down whatever it is as I appreciate the help so much!

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 14, 2014 at 5:41:26 pm

Seems like more of a question for the FCPX Techniques forum, I don't own X yet. My spider-sense suggests something is wrong with your blending modes or opacity settings during the transition.

Return to posts index

Alexander Zahn
on Nov 17, 2014 at 7:25:54 pm

Did you ever figure out a solution to this problem?
I'm having the same exact issue.

Return to posts index

Rachel Jordan
on Nov 17, 2014 at 8:21:53 pm

Unfortunately I didn't find a true resolution to the problem. I just wound up adding key frames instead of applying transitions. Wish I had a better answer for you but it was easier to change my work flow a bit than to spend a lot of time testing and investigating. Good luck!

Return to posts index

Alexander Zahn
on Nov 17, 2014 at 9:29:28 pm

Thanks. My workaround ended up being pasting a black color slug with the opacity set as to offset the increase in brightness (around 30%) over the top of the transition portions that were effected. It's not perfect, but seemed like a faster alternative to key-framing every transition on every layer.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]