FORUMS: list search recent posts

File Error: Unknown File .wav

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gillian Borg
File Error: Unknown File .wav
on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:39:51 pm
Last Edited By Gillian Borg on Jan 13, 2014 at 2:51:08 pm

This situation is doing our head in, and I'd really appreciate some help if someone knows what is missing.

We have an hour and half long Apple Pro Res 422 master self contained file which only needs to be aligned with final sound mix in a new sequence for final delivery.

Similar to our previous workflows, our Sound Designer just sent us a .wav file for the final audio (24 bits, 48kh) but for some reason, FCP doesn't like it anymore and gives us this error in red.

We have gone all over the forum and read all possible posts, and have already tried the following:

1. Changed the file name and location
2. Closed project, started a fresh one and tried a new import
3. Switched user, installed FCP in a new one and tried a new import from a shared drive
4. Asked our sound designer to send us an .aif instead
5. Asked our sound designer to export it from Logic instead of Pro Tools

The only thing that worked is re-compressing file in soundtrack pro and sending it back. But we really don't want to re-compress the final soundmix, it's crucial that the sound file is untampered.

So, what are our options, or what are we doing wrong?? Any help will be really appreciated!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: File Error: Unknown File .wav
on Jan 13, 2014 at 5:52:20 pm
Last Edited By Dave LaRonde on Jan 13, 2014 at 6:13:51 pm

[Gillian Borg] "The only thing that worked is re-compressing file in soundtrack pro and sending it back. But we really don't want to re-compress the final soundmix, it's crucial that the sound file is untampered."

You're not recompressing. If you work throughout with uncompressed audio files at the appropriate bit depth and sample rate, it's not like you're going to lose any audio quality.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gillian Borg
on Jan 13, 2014 at 9:14:59 pm

Hi Dave,

Thanks so much for getting back to me and apologies, my lack of understanding of audio led me to use the wrong terminology.

I meant exporting it from Soundtrack Pro was adding a 'dither' (and not re-compression) which apparently adds white noise to the audio file. However, we have now successfully bounced the audio from Logic pro which, I am being told, will avoid the issue.

So this workaround has enabled us to import the file, however it has been an annoying episode to say the least. Would you know what causes this?

Many thanks.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 13, 2014 at 11:28:52 pm

I'm glad you found a way around it. But without knowing a lot more information about the way audio was recorded, editited and the audio workflow used in the project, there's no good way for anyone to track down the trouble spot.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]