FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac Pro (2013) Purchase Advice

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ken Machacek
Mac Pro (2013) Purchase Advice
on Jan 12, 2014 at 7:35:33 pm

Hey all, I'm in the market for a new Mac Pro (2013 trash can model) and was hoping for a little advice on which processor core configuration to buy.

Clearly, with highly multithreaded apps like FCP or Premiere (I'll also be editing in Avid Media Composer 7 once the new Mac Pro is approved), more cores are better.

However, the Mac Pro will also serve as my primary home computer for other things like gaming, and the 4 and 6 core machines have higher single core speeds.

In an ideal world, I'd just hunker down and buy the 8 core machine... But it's a little beyond my budget. The 6 core machine, in my mind, offers probably the best performance/price balance for my uses... What do you guys think?

Lastly, I would expect that upgrading the GPU is probably more important than the processor... Right? (Not that processors don't matter, but FCP and Premiere probably do more of their heavy lifting with the help of the GPU rather than the CPU.)

Anyway, here's the configuration I'm looking at:

3.5GHz 6-Core
32GB RAM
1TB PCIe Storage
Dual AMD FirePro D700 w/ 6GB of GDDR5 VRAM
AppleCare
(Total: $6048)

...Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated. Should I just take the extra $1500 hit to my bank account and get the 8 core, or is the juice not worth the squeeze?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]