FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best way to screen HDV pal footage in theatre?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Magnus Monfeldt
Best way to screen HDV pal footage in theatre?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:37:46 pm

Hi all,

I'll be screening a 23min documentary at a theatre in a couple of weeks. It's not a real cinema, but a large theatre with a beamer. The film was initially made for the web but I'd like to make a sharp looking version for the screening as well. Now I can't decide whether I should make a standard def DVD, or just play it from my laptop. It was shot at 25fps with a HDV Canon AHX1, downgraded on import to Apple Prores 1440x1080. So my questions are:

-If I make a DVD, what are the best export settings? Through Compressor to MP2 or straight out of FCP as is?
-Let's say I just play it from my MacBook Pro; could I do this through FCP (View-external video-all frames) with optimal sharpness or would it be recommended that I export a proper QT movie? All of the different export settings/options are driving me mad...
-What are the pros and cons of each method?

Thanks in advance,
Magnus

MacBook Pro 15inch, 2.4 ghz Intel Core i5, 4gb RAM, FCP 7.0.3

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
Re: Best way to screen HDV pal footage in theatre?
on Jan 9, 2014 at 4:51:46 pm

You should cross-post this to the Live and Stage COW forum as well: those guys do that sort of thing weekly, so they probably have suggestions. It would help to know the specs of the projector, of course.

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 9, 2014 at 11:42:42 pm

"-What are the pros and cons of each method?"

DVD will look bad. that's a con.

" All of the different export settings/options are driving me mad..."

just export as a self contend file, same settings. very simple, plus best quality, assuming you've been cutting in a timeline that matches your clip settings.

2 options for playback to projector:

1. set the projector as a second desktop of the computer.
you can then play the file back in FCP, via DIgital Cinema Desktop Preview,
or playback from QUicktime using the "Present Movie" command under the view menu.
Quicktime might look the best of these two.
but it most likely will have interlace issues, with obvious combing
you can open the flew Visual Settings in quicktime, and check the de-interlace box

2. send a true video signal out of FCP via a breakout box,
use something like the Decklink Ultrastudio Mini Monitor.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/ultrastudiothunderbolt

this will look the best.
sort of.

you are used to seeing your video on the FCP canvas which does not show fields,
so when you view it as video, and see both fields, it will look like more like video, which can be a bit disappointing depending on your taste.
so you may want to consider de-interlacing your exported file in FCP and then re-exporting it.

nick

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 10, 2014 at 12:17:10 am

Hey, if you're going to play it off the timeline, be sure no other apps are running, that the screen sleep and wallpaper things are all off, and that FCP's automatic save is turned off for the playback session. All KINDS of little things can pop up to stop a play-out from the timeline. If you're using a Blackmagic product for external interface, they have a "media express" app that might work better for play-out.

Return to posts index

Magnus Monfeldt
on Jan 10, 2014 at 7:48:25 am

Thanks a lot guys,

Today I hopefully find out what kind of beamer they have and I will take it from there. In any case, it looks like I won't be making the DVD.

Magnus

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jan 14, 2014 at 4:14:57 am

I have the same camera. You meant Canon XH A1, right? If you shot at 25 fps, then it's 25p (f), right? (unless there's a 25i mode I don't remember). So if it's progressive, you don't need to de-interlace. Also, if you transcoded to ProRes upon import, that's not really downgrading. 1440x1080 are the same dimensions as HDV. But if you burn your video to a SD DVD, you'll be downgrading big time so you don't want to do that. Blu-Ray, different story.

If you can play off your own computer, and just wire it to a projector, then you could just play full-screen out of FCP as others have suggested. For me, using FCP 6 and OS X 10.8, I get the odd screen-tearing. So my preference would be to export a QT movie and play using QT Pro 7. Unless you have all your media handy (i.e. external harddrive), you'll need to make it self-contained. I say QT Pro 7 because in Preferences you can Enable Final Cut Studio Color Compatibility so your picture looks the same as it did in FCP. QT X doesn't offer this setting and if your picture looks wash-out, that's why.

As far as I remember, if you make a self-contained QT file with FCP, it will only play on a computer that has FCP installed on it. So if you plan to play this off someone else's computer, you may have to export a H.264 file and give the person that. If so, let us know and I'm sure someone here can help.

Return to posts index

Magnus Monfeldt
on Jan 15, 2014 at 1:30:51 pm

Hi Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it's the XH A1 and no, I didn't film progressive. On Friday I will meet the theatre technician so I will try to make a self-contained movie by then. QT Pro 7 with color compatibility definitely sounds like a good idea but I'm not sure if I like the idea of uninstalling QT X and downloading QT 7 plus buying PRO. It sounds like a run-around.

I will play the film off of my own computer so I could hook up the firewire drive with all of the footage and play it straight from FCP to see what it looks like. If I see screen-tearing or experience jerky playback I'll have to go down the QT 7 route.

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Christopher McDonell
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:07:54 pm

Hey Magnus. Just to clarify, you can have both QT Pro 7.7 and QT X installed – there's no need to uninstall X. A lot of people are keeping both because vs 7 is much better suited for the pro user. And if you haven't seen any screen-tearing, you're probably going to be fine. I just mentioned that because it's something I get and I've read of a few others experiencing it as well. Cheers

Return to posts index

Magnus Monfeldt
on Jan 15, 2014 at 4:09:56 pm

Hi again,

I just realized that I can have both, which is cool. Bad news is that I can't find my Snow Leopard install DVD...

Magnus

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]