FORUMS: list search recent posts

fcp 6 hd

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kira Light
fcp 6 hd
on Jan 7, 2014 at 5:16:35 pm

Hi,
Bit of a random question but my mate is setting up a studio for corporate work, so not looking to spend loads.

He said he's going to get FCP 6 HD and asked what my thoughts are.

Its been years since I used 6 and I cant think off the top of my head about any issues I had with it.

I would love to have any feedback either good or bad on this.

I've already told him to go down the Avid route but it's too pricey.

Thanks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: fcp 6 hd
on Jan 7, 2014 at 7:26:17 pm

FCP 6 is over 6 years old. It won't work with many of the current cameras made today. It won't install on the current OS at all, and it takes a hack to get it to install on Mountain Lion (10.8). It is a bad choice, IMHO. Never invest in software that old.

I'd recommend they look at FCX...it's $300. Free demo is available...30 day trial. Also should look at Premiere Pro CC. It's a monthly subscription so it won't break the bank. 30-day trial also available.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Kira Light
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:19:27 am

Thanks for that... I mentioned FCPX, but he then told me he's just bought a mac G5 to run editing software on, so I don't think he'll be able to get anything newer than FCP 6 on it now anyway... :/

Sarah

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 8, 2014 at 4:07:26 pm

G5? Wow. Really getting old old equipment. He won't be able to deal with a lot of the camera formats with that rig. Cannot import footage from an AVCHD camera, for example. The machine lacks the power to convert the footage to ProRes.

Very limiting.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jan 8, 2014 at 6:05:50 pm

Get a Mac mini and X before getting a G5 and FCP 6. I wouldn't even have an expectation of a G5 operating on a daily basis. Things just go bad with computers pushing a decade old. Capacitors go bad, power supplies die etc. Sure he didn't just use G5 as a generic term for the big desktop made by Apple? I've heard and seen many people point to their big Mac Pro and call it a G5.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jan 8, 2014 at 7:15:58 pm

What he said. MacMini with FCX will be more than enough...and is under $1000.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]