FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to create multi-clip in FCP7 with manually synced footage.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sarah Lewis
Trying to create multi-clip in FCP7 with manually synced footage.
on Jan 5, 2014 at 9:40:32 am

Hi,

I've been reading through the posts on creating mutliclips in FCP7 but am unable to find the answer to a specific problem so I thought I'd post to see if anyone has any answers.

I've shot a number of muticam concerts for a doco that I'm making on a musician. My editor created multi clips with Pluraleyes which did not sync correctly. I then manually synced the footage in each event on my timeline in different sequences.

Each sequence is now showing in my Browser with a green icon. Firstly does anyone know if this means that the timeline reads this as a mutliclip already because it has been synced and thats why it is green?

And also - now when I highlight the different tracks in the sequence to create a multiclip in my viewer - it does not allow me to do this as the 'make multiclip' command in 'modify' is light grey and not activated so I am unable to click on it.

If anyone has any idea why this is not working, I'd really appreciate any feedback.

many thanks
Sarah

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
Re: Trying to create multi-clip in FCP7 with manually synced footage.
on Jan 5, 2014 at 2:56:28 pm

"when I highlight the different tracks in the sequence to create a multiclip in my viewer - it does not allow me to do this"

you need to select the component clips in the BROWSER, not the timeline.

nick

Return to posts index

Sarah Lewis
on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:18:14 pm

Thanks Nick.

But I was just wondering if there is a way that I can make a multiclip from the timeline as I have such long sequences involving lots of different clips on different tracks that I have synced manually.

I understand how a multiclip can be done from the browser by marking each clip with with an input to sync to but because of the above problem of having such alot of clips that stop and start I needed to do it manually.

Any help would be appreciated
many thanks
Sarah

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:45:38 pm

hi, Sarah.

answer is YES, it involves jumping from the Timeline to the browser.
so for starters, double click the bin with the clips in it into it's own tab in the Browser,
and open the Label column and sort by it. Colour labels are involved.

find your stack of clips in the timeline, and COLOUR the clips in that stack the one colour.
i use the keyboard commands Option +Command + 2 through 6 for each of the 5 avaialable colours
Option +Command + 1 for no colour. this is the top row numbers, not the number pad.

go to the start of the last clip in the stack,
and blade the stack, (Control + V) so there is a common edit point on all clips.

in the timeline select each clip in that stack in turn and hit f to match-frame it into the viewer
this will update the browser version to have that new start time.

now go to the clips in the browser, (Shift + F will take you there from a selected timeline clip or from the viewer)
select the clips (easy to do as they are now coloured) and Create Multiclip based on the new in-point.

i love shortcuts, so i gave Create Multiclip Shift + Command + * (asterisk on the number pad)

move the multiclip into a bin

finally remove the colour on the clips so that the next group is totally obvious.

it's pretty fast and efficient once you get rolling.

cheers,
nick

Return to posts index

Sarah Lewis
on Jan 5, 2014 at 11:54:46 pm

Thanks so much Nick - I won't get a chance to try this until later today but am really hoping this works. Its been hours of agony until now so I really appreciate your response.

Cheers
Sarah

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]