FORUMS: list search recent posts

Onlining 5D Footage to ProResHQ without using Log + Transfer

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Elizabeth Perlman
Onlining 5D Footage to ProResHQ without using Log + Transfer
on Jan 2, 2014 at 11:23:46 pm

I've been reading forums, specifically Shane Ross's offline/online tutorial. We're about ready to online our ProRes422 Proxy footage to HQ in order to prepare for a festival release. However, we originally offlined all of our footage using MPEG streamclip instead of Log + Transfer. Is there a workaround solution to converting our files to HQ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Onlining 5D Footage to ProResHQ without using Log + Transfer
on Jan 3, 2014 at 12:29:15 am

The only solution now, really, is to convert ALL of your footage to HQ via Streamclip or Compressor and relink manually. Might get tricky without reel numbers (when you convert outside FCP, no REEL NUMBERS are added to the footage)...and I hope the timecode will remain the same. Best to use Streamclip to do it again. But you have to convert the FULL CLIPS to full resolution, and then relink. Because FCP will not connect to clips with different durations, not without third party plugins, and hoping your timecode is exact.

So unfortunately you cannot media manage the sequence to smaller clips, and the only convert footage to match those smaller clips. YOu need to do the full media, meaning you will require a lot of drive space.

Unless someone replies to prove me wrong. I hope I'm wrong...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Jan 3, 2014 at 11:25:01 pm

Hi there,
you can change all of the reel names of your existing footage using QT change - link below. Its a great little programme that can change reel names in loads of ways. Either using the clip name, or as a sequence, or a custom name just as per camera card. FCP will update your master clips to then show reel numbers.

Then do as shane says and create high res versions with stream clip or compressor. Use QT change again to give the clips reel names, the same ones as before. Import the new QT into a new FCP project to check they are exactly the same names/lengths.

You should be able to then relink them automatically in FCP, as the names/reels are the same. I would try this on one file to start with.

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

The other thing you might be able to do is use da Vinci resolve lite to do the recapturing. Media manage your timeline to an offline version. Export an XML , and import it into resolve making sure you load up your card rushes into the media pool first. Hopefully it will be able to reconnect them. You can then either grade and export in resolve or create new prores 422 clips and export them back into fcp, again using XML. Again, do a test with a simple timeline.

Cheers
nick

Return to posts index

Elizabeth Perlman
on Jan 8, 2014 at 8:34:06 pm

DId a test sequence and most of the clips matched up with the same timecode except for one...kind of strange. We have about 1,000 clips in the timeline oye! Thanks for the help. Nick's response seemed useful to try except that it alters the original clips..I'm usually worried about anything that's destructive.

Return to posts index

Nick Price
on Jan 8, 2014 at 10:41:40 pm

Hi
I understand not wanting to alter the info inside clips but it's only the reel name. Plus you could duplicate the clips if you were worried. If it makes you feel better I've never had a problem adding reel names to clips. I have had to do it many times over the past 10 years for fcp. Try the workflow with one clip on a test timeline if you are unsure.

Thanks
Nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]