FORUMS: list search recent posts

So long an thanks for everything FCP..

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Haavie
So long an thanks for everything FCP..
on Dec 31, 2013 at 12:49:48 pm

I have invested ALOT of time learning the in and outs of FCP, starting with 6 editing suites with XSan and FCP 5, and that same company is now running about 30 macs with FCP 7.0 editing alot of the major tvshows in this country.

The writing has been on the wall since Apple released FCP X. I am at this moment learning Premiere and as far as I know ALL tv productions houses in Norway has either moved to Premiere or Avid. (The largest company has FCP X as an option for people who do not want to use Premiere)

I will miss Bruce the Yak

Xraid-Xserve-Xsan-Xeverything

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: So long an thanks for everything FCP..
on Dec 31, 2013 at 5:54:51 pm

Personally, I'd go for Avid. And I don't like Avid very much.

Yes, Premiere Pro is a marvelous editing application, but it comes with baggage: should you choose to discontinue renting it from Adobe's ever-so-secure (not) Creative Cloud, you can't open your PP project files after 90 days. Does that sound appealing?

The alternative: buy CS6. At least you can open old project files with it.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on Dec 31, 2013 at 6:49:23 pm

Hi Anders,

Happy New Year!

I remember your posts from the earliest days of FCP/Xsan trying to make it all work. Those were interesting times, but technology marches on! As the saying goes, "When you see a fork in the road, take it!" We did, and it led us to a wholesale switch to AVID.

Good luck in the new year with whatever system you're on!

Mark

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Jan 1, 2014 at 8:05:55 am

Hi Anders and a happy new year.

You should try the new fcpx 10.1. It has really grown up. It now has a much easier system with its library and plays very fast.

I've made the switch in two small production companies (10 users and 4 users), both running old macs and some newer (soon a black new mac pro :)). And Xsan. And I'm very satisfied with the system.

We are running, FCPX for editing and finishing, Resolve for color, and AE and motion for motion stuff, and Nuendo for sound. It all just works!

What are the main problems in television ?

Helge

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:42:28 pm

Sorry, but I just think it is INSANE to make a new storyline just to make an easy audio dissolve. It is symptomatic of FCP X to make such an essential thing into a complex and timeconsuming thing. COME ON !

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 1, 2014 at 7:12:50 pm

You don't need to make a story line for dissolves, you can simply drag the dissolve handles. You're missing out on a lot of wonderful features and a very fast NLE. Working with the Magnetic Timeline is actually a lot faster than a traditional track based timeline. In Legacy you spend much more time making sure you aren't deleting anything important, more clicks needed to make edits and place your sounds in the right place. Through roles FCPX has a more elegant and faster way to deal with tracks IMO.

It does require new muscle memory, but it still is very easy to learn. Personally I feel its a much better software than Legacy, even though I still have to use Legacy and Avid more than I do X. Haters need to give it a chance and stop dissing X. Or perhaps they need to admit that they are afraid to learn something new.:-) I don't want to sound mean, but I had to deal with too many crazy opinions against X lately. And I love when people tell me whats not possible in X, while I'm doing it and there are plenty of examples out there of companies and editors working very successfully with it.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

Anders Haavie
on Jan 1, 2014 at 7:28:45 pm

I work extremely fast in FCP. I never think about tracks, it's just works. (Hey, it's not AVID we are talking about.. hehe..). I know everything can be DONE in FCP X, it's just that I find it extremely annoying the way I forced to do it.

I work with national broadcasting with thousand of hours of footage and multiple editors cooperating. To release FCP X without OMF export is a clear indication of what audience Apple are trying to reach.

Anders

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on Jan 1, 2014 at 9:10:20 pm

I am extremely fast in 7 as well, I don't need to "think" about tracks either but my fingers still need to do the motions. In X you have a few less clicks to do so you are just that little bit faster, and it adds on, especially with rendering speeds. I always get more work done faster in X than in 7. For what I need 8 hours in 7, I usually need about 6 or even 5 hours in X (for fx heavy stuff), mostly, of course, due to rendering. For fast turnaround news I like the fact that you can start working while importing footage.

I work in broadcast as well, and I honestly don't see, especially with this last update, why it couldn't bee used for that purpose. This of course would required new training and new investments. And since 7 still runs there is no reason to risk change.

Apple left out a lot of things in the first release, the one most important ones was XML which was solved pretty quickly. EDLs are not necessary anymore, and there are cheap 3rd party solutions for OMFs and roundtripping to Motion or After FX. In Germany DigiBeta has pretty much died out, all TV broadcasters I've dealt with can handle and at times prefer Apple ProRes files. Some might still need tape but in a few more years, why would any new NLE need it?

Apple felt it was necessary to make a change, and X was a huge one. But its intended for the same people that 7 was for, the individual creative professional. When I bough FCP 2 back in 2001 I got the same reactions for the professional world around me "Final Cut isn't professional, its for amateurs." But back then I was using it for high end stuff, because the commercial director I was working for preferred editing in his apartment.

7 still works perfectly fine, and Avid and Adobe have great NLEs as well, so it really is a matter of taste. But since the release debacle FCPX hasn't gotten the credit it deserves.

Return to posts index

Joe Castellano
on Jan 1, 2014 at 6:59:48 pm

Depending on your resources, I can see your comfort level in Avid & Premiere.

Call me crazy, but as a Flame Premium operator, I see FCPX 10.1 and Smoke on Mac as a powerful combo under $50k.

Avid and AMA gets dodgy and they don't seem to ever mention 4K.

So for me, everything has it's place:

-Projects 4 mins and under: FCP X 10.1

Very fast cutting & screening source clips. Easy picture in picture stacking, cropping & color correct.(no step In etc.)

Compound clip flexibility versus a video mix down.

Easy preset outputs when coupled with new Compressor.

-Long form projects: Avid MC

Still trust Avid right now with multiple audio tracks and omf output to mix. Prefer it as cuts only project to be finished in Flame Premium.

I would like to dip my toe in the many audio tracks pool with FCP X when the time is right, however

Finishing: Flame Premium

Still the box with clients attending. I hate doing any efx on Avid or FCP because I know how much faster the smoke/flame world is.

That said, I am finding FCPX 10.1 more fun than Avid, its the trophy wife for long time editors.

I do think that the keyframe editor needs an overhaul however.
(Would love to see more of a Flame graph representing keyframes, and true motion types)

Well good luck to everyone departing to the great creative cloud in the sky.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]