FORUMS: list search recent posts

ProRes converted video not importing to FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anthony Cook
ProRes converted video not importing to FCP
on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:22:05 pm

Hi Guys,
I've been incorporating GoPro and DSLR footage into my sequences for a while but recently have ran into a "File Error: Unknown file" message while attempting to import h.264 footage I've already converted to ProRes 422 files:
Video: Apple ProRes 422, 1920x1080, 29.98 fps
Audio: 16-bit, 48 kHz

I assumed there might have been something corrupt about the original H.264 files so I played them in Quicktime 10 and did a screen capture. These new SC files of the footage are H.264 so I converted them to ProRes and they still produce the same error message upon import.

My Sequence settings are:
HDV 1080i60, 1440x1080 (16:9), 48 kHz, 16-bit audio

Any help would be awesome!

Tony

I film big machines that wreck a lot of sh#t.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: ProRes converted video not importing to FCP
on Dec 30, 2013 at 5:42:06 pm

[Anthony Cook] "Video: Apple ProRes 422, 1920x1080, 29.98 fps"

The proper frame rate should be 29.97. 29.98 is slightly off. How did you initially convert the footage?

[Anthony Cook] "
My Sequence settings are:
HDV 1080i60, 1440x1080 (16:9), 48 kHz, 16-bit audio"

They shouldn't be. Not if you are working with ProRes footage. Putting ProRes into an HDV sequence is the worse thing you can do. The sequence must match the footage. If you make a new sequence, and add a clip to it, and click YES when FCP asks if you want the sequence to match the footage....that's the way to go.

When you can get the footage to import, that is.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Anthony Cook
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:14:54 pm

I converted the original footage from H.264 to Pro Res using the default ProRes 422 settings in QT Pro (Use Current FPS). Now that you mention it, that FPS isn't normal. I normally don't have any issues other than having to render the ProRes video clips before watching on the timeline. So why is it the worst thing you can do? My main camera shoots in 1080i60 (Canon XH-A1) and I'd hate to have to convert all the footage I've already captured. Do you know if converting the H.264 to HDV 1080i 60 would be ok?

Any idea as to why the Screen captures of the video aren't working after re-encoding to ProRes 422?

Tony

Machines destroying buildings. Its the closest you can get to filming real-life Decepticons.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:34:07 pm

[Anthony Cook] " I normally don't have any issues other than having to render the ProRes video clips before watching on the timeline."

That is a BIG issue. You should never have to render footage when you add it to the timeline. That's your first clue that something is wrong. Your sequence settings should match your clip settings. If you have ProRes footage, use a ProRes timeline. If you have to render, then you need to stop to figure out why, and fix that.

[Anthony Cook] " I converted the original footage from H.264 to Pro Res using the default ProRes 422 settings in QT Pro (Use Current FPS)."

Don't do that. Use COMPRESSOR and the ProRes presets. Or use MPEG STREAMCLIP.

[Anthony Cook] "So why is it the worst thing you can do?"

ProRes is an I-Frame format...one frame is one frame. It's full raster (full 1920x1080) high quality, high data rate. HDV is a GOP format. Look on Wikipedia for a full example, but in short it's THIN raster, meaning anamorphically squeezed (1440x1080) so less quality, it's highly compressed, and the GOP format has 3 real frames, and then a "Group of Pictures" that "guess" at the remaining image. It's fine if you SHOT HDV, but not if you drop in much higher quality ProRes footage. Use ProRes settings.

[Anthony Cook] "My main camera shoots in 1080i60 (Canon XH-A1) and I'd hate to have to convert all the footage I've already captured. Do you know if converting the H.264 to HDV 1080i 60 would be ok?"

Your camera shoots HDV...so HDV settings should be fine. How are you getting H.264 out of this camera?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Anthony Cook
on Dec 30, 2013 at 8:49:08 pm

Thanks for the info, I never knew that HD1080i60 was a substandard HD codec. The H.264 footage is coming from GoPro Hero3's and from a Canon 60D. So I guess I should capture my XH-A1 in ProRes 422 HQ from now on and re-encode the other cameras as well. Just in time for my next project, I have been noticing a LOT of crashing in my current edit with HDV sequence settings and having ProRes 60D footage mixed.

Machines destroying buildings. Its the closest you can get to filming real-life Decepticons.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 30, 2013 at 9:02:21 pm

[Anthony Cook] "I never knew that HD1080i60 was a substandard HD codec."

That isn't a codec. That is a FORMAT. 1080i60 can be ProRes, DNxHD, H.264...shot on tape with HDCAM SR, HDCAM, DVCPRO HD, HDV...be a tapeless format like AVCIntra, XDCAM...many others.

[Anthony Cook] "The H.264 footage is coming from GoPro Hero3's and from a Canon 60D."

Correct. GoPro shoots H.264 in the MP4 "container" and Canon DSLR shoots H.264 in the Quicktime "container." Both shoot 1080p (Progressive)...opposed to 1080i (interlaced)

[Anthony Cook] "So I guess I should capture my XH-A1 in ProRes 422 HQ from now on and re-encode the other cameras as well."

You can capture it as ProRes 422...which will be fine (HQ is overkill for HDV...all it has over ProREs 422 when capturing an 8-bit format like HDV, is a larger file size.) Here's how you do that:

http://library.creativecow.net/articles/poisson_chris/hdv-prores.php

[Anthony Cook] "I have been noticing a LOT of crashing in my current edit with HDV sequence settings and having ProRes 60D footage mixed."

If you use ProRes sequence settings, you'll have far less crashing, for sure. Putting non-HDV footage in an HDV sequence is bad. But putting HDV into a ProRes sequence works great.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]