FORUMS: list search recent posts

What H.264 bitrate would be simeler to Prores 422?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ben Edwards
What H.264 bitrate would be simeler to Prores 422?
on Dec 30, 2013 at 12:27:27 pm

OK, I know the answer is it depends as its a bit like comparing apples with potatoes but am trying to get a rough idea as I am involved it a volunteer run cinema. We can play prores directly, witch is often a good option, but as X.264 is designed for playback, not editing, it must be able to create files that are smaller of a similar quality (as it uses inter-frames).

So I have read that x.264 (1080p) of 5Mbps is considered very good quality, and prores 422 would be around 35Mbps. So I am wondering if we went to something like 10Mbps if I would be creating files that were indistinguishable when viewed on a 2k projector/Small cinema.

I am using handbrake of 'High Quality' setting, setting VBR. I have also played with CQ 17 a bit and this seems to create good results.

Any thoughts,
ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: What H.264 bitrate would be similar to Prores 422?
on Dec 30, 2013 at 6:53:55 pm

For starters, I think I'd investigate the playback system's file requirements very closely. You'll probably find your answer.

Personally, I'd go for the highest-quality h.264 file I could make. It will retain the most image information.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ben Edwards
on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:01:41 pm

I can make a 100 GBPS/second file. We would require Petabyte of storage;).

The playback system is a computer connected to a 2k projector via DVI. At some stage we are going to guy a DCP Server but until then we are using a computer.

Ben

--
Ben Edwards - Freelance Picture Editor
http://www.funkytwig.com

i5 3550 3.3Ghz, Windows 7 / Mac Lion, Nvida 550 Ti, 16GB Mem

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 30, 2013 at 10:54:57 pm

Then I'd say that Compressor's High quality h.264 preset should do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Heagy
Re: What H.264 bitrate would be simeler to Prores 422?
on Jan 1, 2014 at 7:29:41 pm

[Ben Edwards] "So I have read that x.264 (1080p) of 5Mbps is considered very good quality, and prores 422 would be around 35Mbps. So I am wondering if we went to something like 10Mbps if I would be creating files that were indistinguishable when viewed on a 2k projector/Small cinema."

ProRes 422 is not 35Mb it's 140Mb, ProRes Proxy is 36Mb but that looks pretty bad.

The best way to get good results with low data rates in any Long GOP codec is with 2 pass encoding. The difference is amazing. Broadcast h264 encoders run around 20Mb for 1080. You could get similar results at 10Mb with 2 pass.

John

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]