FORUMS: list search recent posts

One House, Two Edit Programs-- One ProRes Project?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
William Carr
One House, Two Edit Programs-- One ProRes Project?
on Dec 27, 2013 at 10:55:46 pm

Another editor is working with us on a project, he will work here in-house for a month and has his own system. He uses the latest Premiere Pro, we use FCP 7.

All the project clips are ProRes 422 1080 23.98. The project has multiple short segments that will not be combined in a single master but will play out individually at an event.

We are not using a shared drive, and I won't need to tweak his projects once he's gone (although I do have a Premiere CC subscription which I haven't explored yet).

-- Can we both use the same PR clips, or should he convert them to a Premiere friendlier format?

-- From Premiere, can he export ProRes that will be the same flavor as my FCP Current Settings exports?

I will ask him of course, but before I do I'd like a second opinion from those who routinely use both edit platforms.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: One House, Two Edit Programs-- One ProRes Project?
on Dec 27, 2013 at 11:43:14 pm

Are you asking the same questions on the COW's Premiere Pro forum? Hope so!

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Dec 28, 2013 at 12:05:18 am

Since I'm an FCP-only editor I want to start the inquiry by asking a pro who lives in both worlds, with a view from this one.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Dec 28, 2013 at 12:18:51 am

Premiere has no native format so keeping it in ProRes is fine. If he is on a Mac he can export any flavor of ProRes no problem. If he is on a PC then I he might need to acquire a plugin that allows for ProRes export.

I just started using PPro a month or so ago (after 5years of being mainly FCP) and it's a pretty easy transition to make. If it comes down to it the other editor can use the "Export FCP XML" feature to give you a copy of his final edit. PPro-only FX and transitions won't come over, but all the edits should.

Return to posts index

William Carr
on Dec 28, 2013 at 12:20:52 am

Thank you Andrew, great info. He is on a Mac. And who knows by the time the project is in full swing I might get a little PP experience as well.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]