FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to edit a video to play on 3 simultanious screens. Video art installation.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chrix Lanier
How to edit a video to play on 3 simultanious screens. Video art installation.
on Dec 21, 2013 at 3:11:15 am

Hi, I want to do a video art installation which will play a video that will export out onto 3 different monitors simultaneously.

I am curious if anyone has done this before and how? I thought at first that maybe I can do three videos separately and maybe find a software or hardware that will allow the user to launch the 3 videos each at the same time so they are synched. It is very important they play at the same time. I'm trying to wrap my head around how to do this project does anyone have any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
Re: How to edit a video to play on 3 simultanious screens. Video art installation.
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:37:44 am

Hi Chrix,

I've done this many times. I have even written my own program for playback. For a installation, it runs in loop mode. I program the macs to start up by themselves and shut down as well.

When they start, they all start my player app, then a controller mac is running a master app. Now they all stay in sync.

For editing:
Do three timelines, but them together in a master timeline for checking. Then render out the three seperate files.

For comercial solutions: you have renewed visions video playback solution, and the swedish product: Watchout from :http://www.dataton.com

The last installation I'm on is a videowall of 11 full HD screens on a long row. 21120x1080 edit.

/helge tjelta, norway

Helge

Return to posts index

Chrix Lanier
Re: How to edit a video to play on 3 simultanious screens. Video art installation.
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:44:53 am

Thanks for responding!

When you say "macs" are there more than one computer per TV?

Or just one computer telling all the screens what to do? Is it only software that does this with your app or do you need any type of extra hardware as well.

I'm sure you need a pretty decent size computer to handle all that process power. What do you use? Anything you would recommend?

Thanks again!

Cheers!

Return to posts index

Helge Tjelta
on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:54:19 am
Last Edited By Helge Tjelta on Dec 22, 2013 at 6:59:32 am

Hi Chrix,

My setup is using one macMini per TV and one for controlling the whole thing. On my last setup I used another macmine (I had some old already) for 4 channel audio playback.

Commercial wise I say WATCHOUT (for PC) is the best, they have timelines, full control, uploads, mapping, and constrant syncing etc. but it costs, a lot.

Renewedvision, proplayer2 is a very nice mac alternativ, much of the same, but no timeline. Also version 1 sync was only start of video, not during.

Mine, syncs several times per second if needed.

If videos are going to play in sync you need to pay attention, some solution offers only "all start" button, but no check after to se if all files a actually playing in sync. And believe me I done a lot of testing here.

Also, when playing full HD on a mac mini, please avoid a lot of big panning and titling. H.264 codec will sometimes skip frames. If using bigger macs it should be no problem, just check first in a regular QT player on that mac/pc you are going to use. Se if it will play 25 or 24 fps at full HD. Then start testing several movies in sync. Remember to have the specific TV and mac mini for testing. Or the result can differ, and have enough time.

/helge (hating video innstallations not playing in sync..... even 1 frame is irritating :))

PS!: also check out this box: http://www.alcorn.com/products/hdbinloop/
But this one is really expensive, but quite simple

Return to posts index

andrew burke
on Dec 22, 2013 at 1:17:57 am

There's an Apple script floating around somewheres... which lets you add video files to a folder at the Finder level, and whatever is in there is played as a screensaver.

I'll see if I can find it. You may try a google search or two, too.

There should be a way to tweak the script to accomodate 3 folders (one for each display).

This is assuming you'd like a Mac involved in this project ;)

-Andrew

I'm here because I'm not all there.

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Dec 22, 2013 at 2:02:16 am
Last Edited By olof ekbergh on Dec 22, 2013 at 2:08:51 am

I would go with a show controller and 3 digital players.

Gilderfluke.com is a great source for these video installations.

I have done them lots of times even back in the 90's using tape decks. Later DVD players (pro RS232 controllable ones). Now solid state players are the best.

Look them up and give them a call.

These systems will even control room lighting, fans, shakers, animatronics, run attract loops and then when a motion sensor is triggered start a "show".

Editing together is easy, just do a master screen with 3 small screens (PIP) and when it is right make each screen its own .mov and export as separate files.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 23, 2013 at 4:23:07 pm

There's another option, to use one computer and a triple-head-2 go card to out output the video. It's a popular approach because you just make one very large master file and the card divvies it up to match on three projectors or screens.

Try also asking this in the COW's Live and Stage forum, not because the advice here isn't good, ( it is) but because those guys do this particular thing day in-day-out as their main work, so you'll get the most up to date solutions and extra knowledge, as well as suggestions tailored to your budget.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]