FORUMS: list search recent posts

title render makes vid play fast

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mick Kalber
title render makes vid play fast
on Dec 19, 2013 at 11:35:57 pm

Man, is this one strange. I'm putting a bug (title) throughout an hour long show to identify it to the audience... it's for a loop in a gift shop where they sell our shows. I've captured the old SD show from Beta SP via my HDCAM M2000 deck... uprezzed it to 1080 and selected squeeze upconvert. added title in title tool fcp 6.0.8 and dropped in the appropriate place on the timeline. material was brought in prores 422HQ (my only choice for whatever reason)... sequence is prores 422. usually I can just easily render it.
actually, plays fine in timeline w/o render, and when I drop title over it, it plays fine without the render, but has a green line above indicating it needs to be rendered. HOWEVER... when I render it, the video behind the super jumps ahead in the show about 35 seconds and plays at 2-3 times normal speed!!! I've tried everything I can think of to work around the problem, but nothing seems to work. creating a freeze frame of the title, exporting the title... nothing makes any difference. but the show plays correctly w/o the render. go figgah. I guess I could lay it off to hdcam w/o rendering and then recapture it. seems silly, but it's all I can think of. btw, running fcp 6.0.8 on an iMac OS 10.8.5 3.4 GHz w 32 GB Ram. Any ideas? Mahalo in advance!

Mick Kalber
Tropical Visions Video, Inc.
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
Re: title render makes vid play fast
on Dec 20, 2013 at 1:19:47 am

What is the graphic file format you're using for the bug? How is it keyed?

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:21:46 am

just text tool in FCP 6. never had anything like this happen. and if I put a drop shadow on it, it pulls up a frame that I deleted to replace the existing video behind the graphic in the timeline. wtf?!?!?

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 20, 2013 at 5:23:22 pm

When was the last time you trashed your FCP Preferences? Digital Rebellion has a nice, free little app that lets you trash with losing all the settings you worked so hard to create.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer
KGAN (CBS) & KFXA (Fox) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 20, 2013 at 6:58:20 pm

well, that's a good question, dave... I just went to do that however, and can't find any of the preference files or folder. in library - preferences - no com.apple.FinalCutPro.plist, no FCP User Data folder, and not 6.0 prefs, obj cache, or pref cache. hmmmm.... now what do I do? reload them somehow? maybe that's the problem?

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:12:48 pm

You ought to try that Digital Rebellion app. See what it comes up with.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:21:22 pm

ok... I will. but aren't the missing preferences a problem? what do I do about that? I can't restore them from my other fcp program on another computer because you can't modify the preferences folder. I assume the FCP User Data file was deleted somehow... maybe by accident the last time we trashed prefs.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:33:43 pm

so... download digital rebellion preference manager? did that. but the setup includes final cut express, pro X, pro X trial, and studio. I'm running fcp 6... that's none of those, is it? sorry for my ignorance... appreciate ur help.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 20, 2013 at 7:49:13 pm

ok... trashed prefs using digital rebellion manager. prefs went away. returned to project and set some of the prefs the way I like them... tried the render again... same problem. also, some of my renders make the video turn completely black... like gone. audio remains intact and clip is still there... just not visible. other clips in same sequence from same source, still visible. yikes. you recommend digital rebellion pro maintenance too? few bucks, but mite be worth it?

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 20, 2013 at 11:08:47 pm

Not yet: first, go to the FCP Render Manager for this project, and delete all the renders for the project. Then re-render and see what happens.

No joy? Run Disk Warrior (a very good app to have) and repair permissions in the Mac OS.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:08:15 am

wow. I'm sure that's a reasonable suggestion, dave... but it scares me to death. this show is an hour and forty five minutes long and the renders will take FOREVER and a day! just makes me nervous... if I can find a workaround, I can lay it off and not have to go that route. I know it's a what if, but it makes me weak in the knees, ifyaknowhatimean. guess I'll think about it... I know there are a ton of render files. mahalo for the suggestion.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 21, 2013 at 12:33:57 am

[Mick Kalber] "...this show is an hour and forty five minutes long and the renders will take FOREVER and a day!"

Well, then, today's your lucky day! It's Friday, and computers don't need to be baby-sat while they render all weekend.

Dave LaRonde
Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 21, 2013 at 6:46:53 am

no weekend here... no rest for the wicked, ya know? guess I'll give it a try. mahalo.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Dave Farrants
on Dec 21, 2013 at 9:47:05 am

On the occasions I've used a bug across whole timeline, I've exported the full program as self contained (or sometimes even just referenced), re-imported (at matched settings) then added the BoS, then rendered.

Web - http://www.foxvideo.co.uk
Blog - http://foxvidpro.blogspot.co.uk/

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 22, 2013 at 8:51:58 am

sure, Dave... that's exactly what I've done. I've exported the 70 minute 29.97 SD show unpressed to 1080, imported it, put the bug on, rendered it and it plays three times normal speed. I'm so confused I don't know what to try next. trashed prefs, no help. re-captured media, checked settings coming it, sequence settings, exports settings. I'm totally out of ideas. I assume it's operator error... but I'll be damned if I know what it is. I have other projects that play, render, export, etc fine... but not this one. mahalo for the assistance.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Dave Farrants
on Dec 22, 2013 at 9:35:52 am

If it was my project, I'd break it down - 'cut' a 3 or 4 minute section out, paste it into a new sequence, add the bug, render - what happens?

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 22, 2013 at 11:45:22 am

yep... did that too. re-captured just a small portion again...
put it into another sequence, added the bug, rendered, plays fast.
repeated same drill except exported the small, imported it, put it in a new sequence, added the bug, rendered, plays fast. what now?
plays fine w/o render... but have to render to make a qt to make a dvd. maybe I can lay off to tape w/o rendering, re-capture and not have to render it prior to exporting. I'll try that and see what happens. this is getting old.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Dave Farrants
on Dec 22, 2013 at 11:50:44 am

You say you used 'just the text tool" - does the problem happen if you use Boris Title 3D or Manifesto?

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 22, 2013 at 12:24:39 pm

I've never used anything but the text tool in FCP, but my editor has... I'll ask him.

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Dec 24, 2013 at 11:43:14 am

SUCCESS!!! Finally figured out what's been going on with my FCP. some how the BlackMagic 59.94 ProRes capture preset changed itself to record 50 FPS instead of either 59.94 or 29.97! That's y it would play in a 29.97 timeline, but needed to be rendered... and when rendered it would either disappear entirely, or play very quickly. I reset the preset to record 29.97 and now everything is right with the world! Amazing how one little thing can throw my whole world into a state of disarray!!! Mahalo for all the suggestions, guys... really appreciate ur help. Have some great hollandaise, ok? Aloha!!!

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

Mick Kalber
on Jan 3, 2014 at 4:51:16 am

Finally figured this problem out, btw... even though the blackmagic capture preset was correct... 1080, 29.97... vid was actually being captured at 50fps. go figgah. even showed up in the bin as 29.97. but after blowing out media and batch capturing, the details on the batch capture window said 50fps. must have gotten corrupted somehow. anyway, re-built the pre-set to 29.97 and all is well. what a bizarre problem. big mahalo to everyone who tried to help me!

Mick Kalber
Hilo, Hawaii

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]