FORUMS: list search recent posts

Keeping interlaced footage 'combed over' in a progressive FCP7 sequence

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ian W. Arsenault
Keeping interlaced footage 'combed over' in a progressive FCP7 sequence
on Dec 16, 2013 at 8:15:45 pm

I have some interlaced 59.94 footage that I'm putting in a 23.98 progressive sequence and want it to stay looking interlaced. I know it's going to look horrible. That's what I'm going for.

I've tried converting a test clip in a few different ways, through quicktime, compressor, media manager, etc and I can't seem to figure a way that FCP7 won't "do me the favor" of deinterlacing the clip in the timeline.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Keeping interlaced footage 'combed over' in a progressive FCP7 sequence
on Dec 16, 2013 at 8:45:25 pm

[Ian W. Arsenault] "I have some interlaced 59.94 footage that I'm putting in a 23.98 progressive sequence and want it to stay looking interlaced."

Sorry, can't be done. 23.98 is progressive only...it doesn't do interlacing. You cannot have interlaced footage look interlaced in a progressive timeline. Oddly, the opposite is true. If you had an interlaced timeline, your progressive footage will still look progressive, because both fields are identical. But Progressive is basically NO fields...or two identical ones. So you cannot have interlaced footage look interlaced in a progressive timeline.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Ian W. Arsenault
on Dec 16, 2013 at 10:22:37 pm

Thanks Shane.

I get what you're saying. I'm going to do some tests to see if I can combine the fields to retain the look in a progressive clip.

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 17, 2013 at 4:49:23 pm

I'll bet if you change the metadata in the interlaced clip from upper/lower to progressive FCP would not de-interlace it. The only app I know that will do this is Digital Rebellion's QT Edit which is part of their Pro Media Tools suite.

John

Return to posts index

Nick Meyers
on Dec 17, 2013 at 10:32:12 pm

Quicktime player 7 can do that too, cant it?

i'm pretty sure i have baked in combing in FCP
it was on my last job, but the details are hazy as it was an accident!
but i had a fast motion effect in an interlaced timeline, and exported it, possibly changing my sequence settings on export.
when re-imported to FCP the combing was evident.

nick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]